1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building New PC. Any Help Plz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JammyDoger, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JammyDoger

JammyDoger Thread Starter

Hey,

In 2 months i will be "trying" to make my 1st pc with these components (I am buying them from Ebuyer and using some other components eg power supply, harddrive and disk drives from my older pc which is about a year old):

Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott Skt478 FSB800 1MB Cache---58515
    Ebuyer 512mb DDR PC3200 400MHz Extra Value Ram ---49447
    Ebuyer S-313BSS Blue Body All Silver Front Atx Case With No PSU---76429
    Abit AI7-GURU SKT 478 865PE 800FSB Dual DDR SATA Raid Firewire Sound---63165
    Some 120mm Internal Case Fans In Black---63281
    O/S Windows xp pro corporate (not quite sure what to use yet)

I am using another 512 ram which is same speed and a "XFX Geforce 6800 GT 256MB" from my old pc and the other things i said above. Are there any tips you might be able to give me on making it and if i should require anything else or get rid of something i have put in wrong? I have added the quckfind codes for the website so you can find them easier.(www.ebuyer.co.uk) :) I will be using it for gaming alot so i need it cool and fast.

2. brite750

brite750

You will need a good quality psu, 400watts or better, unless you already have one, Sata hdd if your running it with Sata Raid0 you'll need two, at least a CD-rom drive to load os. You dont mention what parts youre using from the other pc, but what you have here looks ok.

3. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned

You're definitely going to need a power supply. Also, I advise you to do it with someone who's done it before. You do the work while they correct your mistakes... (y)

4. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Yes, you will definetly need to get a quality power supply, like an Antec.

If you have any assembly questions, please feel free to ask, I've built a few computers and had the mistakes to go along with them, hopefully you can avoid making any.

5. kav81uk

kav81uk

If your using a few cooling fans try adding a fan controller
    this will make wiring it up easy and neater
    also are you worried about looks
    aleast this ways cheaper than buying

from a fellow custom builder
    Jeantec Phong case (black & Silver)
    AMD 64 3400+
    Mobo K8T Neo-FIS2R
    1GB of Ram
    Nvidia 5950 Ultra
    120GB Barracuda HHD
    Toshiba DVDROM-CDRW
    450w PSU
    XP Home

6. JammyDoger

thx alot. whts sata hdd? i have a 500w psu which should be ok. i have 2 disk drives and floppy. i was also wondering how many fans i can fit in that case? also i was wondering will the motherboard fit in that case and will i have to be careful while fitting some things like the processor? thx 4 advice :)

7. JammyDoger

1 more thing does the processor come with a fan or should i buy a new 1? :confused:

8. wolfworx

wolfworx

Hope for the best but expext the worst when building your own computer.

Remember, you will not have the replacement parts to switch or the test equipment that is available to a factory assembly technician, but much can be learned from the process of putting a system together.

I just assembled one around a new AMD Athelon 64 3000+.
    New Powmax case with 450 W Power supply
    ASUS K8V MoBo
    512 MB PC2100 DDR
    Radeon 9200 SE Disp. Adapt.

When all was assembled and powered up nothing happened! (groan) :(

Well, almost nothing. The case fan worked and the LED monitor on the MoBo lit.

However, the CPU fan was not working and there was no display activity.

I rechecked all connections, including the one to the case switch. No problems here.

So where was the problem?

Bad memory? Not likely, the memory worked in another computer.

Bad display adapter? No, I replaced the board, no improvement.

Bad power supply? Doubtful, since the case fan and MoBo LED worked.

Bad processor? A possibility, but no way to check this other than replacement

Bad MoBo? A possibility. After talking to the manufacturer, I had a replacement board sent.

Replacing the mother board is (on a smaller scale) equivalent to replacing the engine on an automnobile -- you must disconnect and reconnect everything!

The result -- same as before. :confused: She no work.

Then I reconsidered the power supply. Case fan worked (5v). Processor fan did not work (12v). Hmmm.

So, I replaced the power supply, reconnected everything and hooray! (y) A working computer.

So that is what you may be in for. If all goes well and everything works, building your own computer is about four hours work.:cool: If not it can take days or weeks! :eek: Very frustrating.

On the other hand, there is a great deal of satisfaction when your newly built computer finally works. :D

9. brite750

brite750

Youre mobo with work with regular IDE hdd, but it looks like it comes with SATA connections, different kind of hdd interface, a little faster than IDE.
    500 watt is fine if it is not a cheapy brand
    how many fans depends on the case, usually 2 80mm, 1 front sucking in , 1 back blowing out, 1 on the cpu heat sink, 1 usually with the power supply
    some newer cases have places for more or larger size 120mm fans
    your mobo is ATX size and so is case so you should be good
    of course you have to be careful installing processor is that what your asking?, CPU drops into the ZIF socket, and then you install hsf.

10. kav81uk

kav81uk

Hi jammy d
    Try using a Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro. i use an older version and its so easy to use and install. it fits most type of cpu (Socket A/754/939/478/775)
    Also what is your case and cpu. almost allmobos will fit most cases
    assemble case first
    put your psu in 2nd (so you dont drop it onto mobo crushing it and you can tidy away any cables)
    then your mobo
    then the rest

11. JammyDoger

thx 4 help people. i shall try doing all that you have said. the abit about the fans though will 120mm fans fit or shall i go for the 80mm's? well apart from that i should be ok. thx all also post other things or tips u may have for me. i gotta w8 2 months till i make it though :(

thx all (y)

12. obvious

obvious

ok, one, dump the intel presscott cpu, its hot and powerhungry little bugger. same for a 5950. get a 9800pro, put a nice heatsink/fan on it, flash the bios on it to whack it up to 9800XT status (on the premise its an R360 core on it) and get a decent cpu (the sempron 3100+ for socket754 motherboards are really nice overclockers, i managed a 49% overclock on my friends pc with the standard fan/heatsink!

@hulk
    or just let the friend do the work and you *correct* their mistakes. that's what i did on my first time =) lmao

@kav yeah, ive knackered a few mobos by dropping the psu on top of it. not a pretty sight i can tell you.

@jammy doger

its a sight for sore eyes when you finish your pc and have it running perfectly! send us some pics once your done yeah?

btw, here's a link for the 9800pro-XT firmmod thread

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=317638&goto=newpost

*WARNING 16 PAGE THREAD!!!*

13. 02098

just one question once you've installed all the hardware does
    the computer start in dos mode automatically to install windows?
    (i know this is a very stupid question)

14. obvious

obvious

nope, as dos isnt installed straight after you finish putting together the pc. didnt u know? u need to install dos!, lol, well ur new, so ill let u off ;)

15. obvious

obvious

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/317809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice