Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Building New PC. Any Help Plz

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  JammyDoger 
#1 ·
Hey,

In 2 months i will be "trying" to make my 1st pc with these components (I am buying them from Ebuyer and using some other components eg power supply, harddrive and disk drives from my older pc which is about a year old):

Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott Skt478 FSB800 1MB Cache---58515
Ebuyer 512mb DDR PC3200 400MHz Extra Value Ram ---49447
Ebuyer S-313BSS Blue Body All Silver Front Atx Case With No PSU---76429
Abit AI7-GURU SKT 478 865PE 800FSB Dual DDR SATA Raid Firewire Sound---63165
Some 120mm Internal Case Fans In Black---63281
O/S Windows xp pro corporate (not quite sure what to use yet)

I am using another 512 ram which is same speed and a "XFX Geforce 6800 GT 256MB" from my old pc and the other things i said above. Are there any tips you might be able to give me on making it and if i should require anything else or get rid of something i have put in wrong? I have added the quckfind codes for the website so you can find them easier.(www.ebuyer.co.uk) :) I will be using it for gaming alot so i need it cool and fast.

See less See more
#2 ·
JammyDoger said:
Hey,

In 2 months i will be "trying" to make my 1st pc with these components (I am buying them from Ebuyer and using some other components eg power supply, harddrive and disk drives from my older pc which is about a year old):

Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott Skt478 FSB800 1MB Cache---58515
Ebuyer 512mb DDR PC3200 400MHz Extra Value Ram ---49447
Ebuyer S-313BSS Blue Body All Silver Front Atx Case With No PSU---76429
Abit AI7-GURU SKT 478 865PE 800FSB Dual DDR SATA Raid Firewire Sound---63165
Some 120mm Internal Case Fans In Black---63281
O/S Windows xp pro corporate (not quite sure what to use yet)

I am using another 512 ram which is same speed and a "XFX Geforce 6800 GT 256MB" from my old pc and the other things i said above. Are there any tips you might be able to give me on making it and if i should require anything else or get rid of something i have put in wrong? I have added the quckfind codes for the website so you can find them easier.(www.ebuyer.co.uk) :) I will be using it for gaming alot so i need it cool and fast.
You will need a good quality psu, 400watts or better, unless you already have one, Sata hdd if your running it with Sata Raid0 you'll need two, at least a CD-rom drive to load os. You dont mention what parts youre using from the other pc, but what you have here looks ok.

#3 ·
You're definitely going to need a power supply. Also, I advise you to do it with someone who's done it before. You do the work while they correct your mistakes... :up:

#5 ·
If your using a few cooling fans try adding a fan controller
this will make wiring it up easy and neater
also are you worried about looks
aleast this ways cheaper than buying

from a fellow custom builder
Jeantec Phong case (black & Silver)
AMD 64 3400+
Mobo K8T Neo-FIS2R
1GB of Ram
Nvidia 5950 Ultra
120GB Barracuda HHD
Toshiba DVDROM-CDRW
450w PSU
XP Home

#6 ·
thx alot. whts sata hdd? i have a 500w psu which should be ok. i have 2 disk drives and floppy. i was also wondering how many fans i can fit in that case? also i was wondering will the motherboard fit in that case and will i have to be careful while fitting some things like the processor? thx 4 advice :)

#8 ·
Hope for the best but expext the worst when building your own computer.

Remember, you will not have the replacement parts to switch or the test equipment that is available to a factory assembly technician, but much can be learned from the process of putting a system together.

I just assembled one around a new AMD Athelon 64 3000+.
New Powmax case with 450 W Power supply
ASUS K8V MoBo
512 MB PC2100 DDR
Radeon 9200 SE Disp. Adapt.

When all was assembled and powered up nothing happened! (groan) :(

Well, almost nothing. The case fan worked and the LED monitor on the MoBo lit.

However, the CPU fan was not working and there was no display activity.

I rechecked all connections, including the one to the case switch. No problems here.

So where was the problem?

Bad memory? Not likely, the memory worked in another computer.

Bad display adapter? No, I replaced the board, no improvement.

Bad power supply? Doubtful, since the case fan and MoBo LED worked.

Bad processor? A possibility, but no way to check this other than replacement

Bad MoBo? A possibility. After talking to the manufacturer, I had a replacement board sent.

Replacing the mother board is (on a smaller scale) equivalent to replacing the engine on an automnobile -- you must disconnect and reconnect everything!

The result -- same as before. :confused: She no work.

Then I reconsidered the power supply. Case fan worked (5v). Processor fan did not work (12v). Hmmm.

So, I replaced the power supply, reconnected everything and hooray! :up: A working computer.

So that is what you may be in for. If all goes well and everything works, building your own computer is about four hours work.:cool: If not it can take days or weeks! :eek: Very frustrating.

On the other hand, there is a great deal of satisfaction when your newly built computer finally works. :D

#9 ·
JammyDoger said:
thx alot. whts sata hdd? i have a 500w psu which should be ok. i have 2 disk drives and floppy. i was also wondering how many fans i can fit in that case? also i was wondering will the motherboard fit in that case and will i have to be careful while fitting some things like the processor? thx 4 advice :)
Youre mobo with work with regular IDE hdd, but it looks like it comes with SATA connections, different kind of hdd interface, a little faster than IDE.
500 watt is fine if it is not a cheapy brand
how many fans depends on the case, usually 2 80mm, 1 front sucking in , 1 back blowing out, 1 on the cpu heat sink, 1 usually with the power supply
some newer cases have places for more or larger size 120mm fans
your mobo is ATX size and so is case so you should be good
of course you have to be careful installing processor is that what your asking?, CPU drops into the ZIF socket, and then you install hsf.

#10 ·
Hi jammy d
Try using a Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro. i use an older version and its so easy to use and install. it fits most type of cpu (Socket A/754/939/478/775)
Also what is your case and cpu. almost allmobos will fit most cases
assemble case first
put your psu in 2nd (so you dont drop it onto mobo crushing it and you can tidy away any cables)
then your mobo
then the rest

#11 ·
thx 4 help people. i shall try doing all that you have said. the abit about the fans though will 120mm fans fit or shall i go for the 80mm's? well apart from that i should be ok. thx all also post other things or tips u may have for me. i gotta w8 2 months till i make it though :(

thx all :up:

#12 ·
ok, one, dump the intel presscott cpu, its hot and powerhungry little bugger. same for a 5950. get a 9800pro, put a nice heatsink/fan on it, flash the bios on it to whack it up to 9800XT status (on the premise its an R360 core on it) and get a decent cpu (the sempron 3100+ for socket754 motherboards are really nice overclockers, i managed a 49% overclock on my friends pc with the standard fan/heatsink!

@hulk
or just let the friend do the work and you *correct* their mistakes. that's what i did on my first time =) lmao

@kav yeah, ive knackered a few mobos by dropping the psu on top of it. not a pretty sight i can tell you.

@jammy doger

its a sight for sore eyes when you finish your pc and have it running perfectly! send us some pics once your done yeah?

btw, here's a link for the 9800pro-XT firmmod thread

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=317638&goto=newpost

*WARNING 16 PAGE THREAD!!!*

#14 ·
nope, as dos isnt installed straight after you finish putting together the pc. didnt u know? u need to install dos!, lol, well ur new, so ill let u off ;)

#15 ·
#16 ·
well i want a gd processor so shall i go wid semperon or a intel 3.0Ghz cuz i a noob at comps and dunno how 2 overclock and dat plus i got a gd grafics card so i dont need a new 1. ill send sum pics in but i gunna send em in like 2 months wen i actually get 2 make it. i think i shud go wid the 3.0 or 3.2 cuz then i dont ave 2 overclock which is difficult 4 me. thx 4 advice :D :up:

#17 ·
go sempron 3100+, its the only decent sempron cpu (its a socket 754, socket a semprons are all cr4p) all pentium4 cpus are VERY inefficent. good for video encoding, but not much else. they also eat up power like theres no tomorrow and kick out enough heat to fry an egg.......not that ive done it or anything *shuffles nervously out of the room*

#18 ·
Go for 120mm's, get silent ones (Akasa make good fans)
if your case supports them use em, they will give you better air flow
1 in front sucking 1 in the back blowing
this is a good site you may find if useful
www.overclockers.co.uk
i here there making a mobo for the pentium m
should be a nice cool and quite rig with some good overclocking potional
i'm considering builing a new desktop, one for home and one at work
im in the forces so i spend lots of time at both and i can't be a$%ed to lug about any more. so i want to build a smaller one than my phong.
any one got any ideas, im thinking going down the
amd 64 agian but with skt 939 3200+, winchester core so it can be overclocked. i dont know what gpu to go for though nvidia or ati ??????
PCI-e or AGP ????
sorry if im stealing your thunder jammy d

#19 ·
right this is what im going 2 use 2 make the pc

XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256Mb (from old pc)
Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott Skt478 FSB800 1MB Cache Retail Boxed CPU
Abit AI7-GURU SKT 478 865PE 800FSB Dual DDR SATA Raid Firewire Sound Retail
Ebuyer S-313BSS Blue Body All Silver Front Atx Case With No PSU
Ebuyer 512mb DDR PC3200 400MHz Extra Value Ram (+ another from old pc)
Fan Controller 3.5" Silver
Ebuyer Value 8cm Case Fan With Blue LED's x5
Seagate ST380013AS 80GB 7200rpm SATA Barracuda 7200.7 - OEM
2 disc drives from old pc
500w PSU from old pc

i want to know now if it will be ok to fit it all together and will it be cool enough for playing games (half life 2,cs source,call of duty) so it wont overheat. plus should i but a processor fan or use the retail 1?

then finally if its ok ill send sum pics start of march (thats when i get omney to make it) to show you guys wht its like :D thx 4 all ur help :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.