1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building New PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Norwalker, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Norwalker

Norwalker Thread Starter

Hi, all

Have read many a post on here, and see lots of great advice. So, I am in the process of replacing my antiquated PII 400 PC with a new home built unit

Here are my current selections on hardware. I would appreciate any advice given :D

Motherboard : SOYO SY-KT333 DRAGON Ultra
    RAM: 512MB ( Probably Crucial)
    CPU: AMD XP 2100 +
    CPU cooler: Thermalright SLK 800 w/ Delta 80mm fan
    Case: Antec Model 1040B (400 watt) or
    Thermaltake Xaser II A6000 B Plus
    ( if I am feeling rich )
    HDD: 2 MAXTOR Quiet Drive 40GB 7200RPM Model
    # 6L040L2 -D740X
    CD/CDRW/DVD: PLEXTOR PX-W4012TA-BPS/
    BLACK 40x12x40 CD-RW
    Aopen Internal EIDE 16X DVD ROM (2nd drive)
    Video Card: LEADTEK|GF4 TI4200BK 128M VIVO

Considered installing a Creative Labs AUDIGY card on system, but read ( in an Anandtech review) that there is a possible problem with the SOYO board ( Which I really like)

Thanks in advance for all replies and help

Barry aka Norwalker
    :cool:

2. brianF

brianF

nice, I have always wanted that antec case, keep drooling :p

Be prepared for noise, that thermaltake 800 with the 80mm fan is noise. You may want to connect the manual fan speed control, I ended up doing if for my son as he couldn't even take the fan noise.

Looks good as long as soyo recommends crucial memory, some motherboards are a little touchie about which brand.

3. chuckd1991

chuckd1991

I've read that Soundblaster cards have problems with VIA chipsets. One person said that they had trouble with the card and a SOYO board, but they called Soundblaster(the phone# is at the web site) and got a CD with the latest drivers, which solved the problem. I just bought an Audigy MP3+ not too long ago, and it was worth getting. I don't know if you'll have to call for a CD, because the site should have the latest drivers to download(which I had to do for Windows XP).

4. Ceasar

Ceasar

I agree with brianF ......my thermaltake 800 with the 80mm fan is very loud......I have the Audigy card in 2 computers with the via chipset......no problems.......but I have heard of problems with the soyo mobos.......why take a chance get the turtle beach card......sounds like a fine machine your building......good luck:)

5. Norwalker

Norwalker Thread Starter

Thanks, Brian, Chuckd and Ceasar for the replies :D

Might look into that Thermaltake case for the noise. Has a manual speed control and temp display right at the front ( handy..pricey, but handy)

I will check with creative about that sound card issue. Reason I thought it might be the Mobo is because the antec article was testing the VIA kt333 chipset, and according to the author, they had no problem with the Audigy card with any of the other mobos except the SOYO( he did say maybe it could be just his particular card).

I was impressed with the layout of the soyo mobo. I repair computers for a living, and I am particularly fond of where they put the power connector( behind the port interfaces) rather than by the IDE connectors, or behind the ram( so you have a nice cable choking off air to the ram). Also, reading the reviews on the board gave it for the most part, good marks for stability and performance.

Thanks for the help, and now off to save some money so I can do this little project :cool:

6. PGreene

PGreene

How the hell do you wire the usb port for the hardcano 7 that comes with the Xaser case? Apparently, the color code isn't standard. My mobo manual pinout is clear enough but I'm not taking a chance on connecting the port until I'm sure of everything.

7. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

PGreene, welcome to TSG!

You would be better servered starting a new thread for your question so that answers don't get confused.

JOhn

8. PGreene

PGreene

Thanx John !

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/94603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice