1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building new Phenom computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kame_sanjo, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo Thread Starter

Hey everyone, ive got a decent system right now but wanted to upgrade to the quad core phenom available at an awesome price. I wanted to know if there was a big difference in the nForce 720a and 750a chipsets. I cant really find much other than the SLi (i will be running a single card) so i would only want the 750a for the updated design.

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Personally, I wouldnt go with a Phenom. I speak as a long time AMD fan, but have reluctantly accepted, on personal experience, that Intel have got the jump (for now- come back AMD, all is forgiven :) )- going for an update, I would tend toward a high end dual, or a quad core. The 790 chipset is available, and it seems a lot better than the 680 I used to have- also supports the new GTX 260s.
    Dont know how much upgrading you are doing, but if you can switch, it is worth it.
    Sorry to put a down on the Phenom, but all told, (grits teeth to say it)--- Intel are definitely the better bet now.

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Ditto, I mean you'll get a nice boost with Phenom quad but nothing like Intel right now.

4. kame_sanjo

well all right... what would be a good choice then? im keeping my 8800gtx for now, just trying to upgrade the head end stuff right now. what do you think would be an affordable upgrade from my fx-62? im tryin to go with the year-old technology since it has gone down considerably... i was looking at the q6600 since it was highly touted on newegg.com.

5. kame_sanjo

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice