1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building new Q6600 rig soon! Hardware advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FortHoodTX, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FortHoodTX

FortHoodTX Thread Starter

After searching a few threads on this, I have decided that I may need more personal attention. I am building a brand new rig soon, due to the expected drop in the Q6600 quad-core processor on 22 JUL which I am pretty excited about. We'll see if that happens as expected...

I am trying to build in preparation for the future tech advances, so I don't need to build another for a good 3-4 years. My main concern is finding the right motherboard. My requirements on a motherboard are basically:

--Socket 775, of course
    --SLI, just in case I decide to add another video card
    --8gb max RAM, but 4gb would be acceptable too, supporting at least DDR2-800
    --I would like two IDE buses, but one would be fine. I just ordered two 300gb SATA HDDs because I don't see a way I can use all my IDE devices.
    --at least two regular PCI slots
    --onboard Firewire would be nice

My next problem is a power supply. I am using ULTRA 500w X-connect modular units, and I have a ton of them. I suppose they won't suffice for this application, especially since it appears that I'll need the 8-pin power connector for the processor. [A quick digression: would a substantially higher wattage power supply mean necessarily that it would use more electricity in my house, even if I didn't have that many devices plugged in to require it all?]

Aside from that, I need a video card recommendation. I currently am running an XFX 6800XT 512mb.. but that technology was old even when I bought it. It has treated me well, but I am ready to move on. I still want to stay with the 512 number, but want something sort of high-end, not to exceed $250 or so though. I can normally find good ones with a rebate attached, but I do need a few models, maybe some pros and cons -- somewhere to start.. especially from those that have dealt with this processor already.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and direction.

2. Pippen

Pippen

Bump. Great questions. I'm going with the Q6600 too. Especially since TigerDirect told me there is no real difference in performance between Q6600 and the QX6700

3. FortHoodTX

No one has any experience with the Q6600 at all?

4. jvnderwe

jvnderwe

This motherboard might be to your liking - Asus P5N-E-SLI

SLI, firewire, and up to 4 IDE devices I believe.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Check out the 6750 cpu at around $200...that's the real value!

6. FortHoodTX

Ah yes, but on 22 JUL the Q6600 is scheduled to take a price drop to around $266, so I'm planning for then.. no way I'll pass that up!

I've been looking a lot at the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R. I hear good things about it, and at less than $200, it looks good. My main concern is a power supply. I don't know if I'll have that 8-pin cable to give the quad-core processor power.. but I hear you can plug in a 4-pin and it will work just fine.

7. tony oh

tony oh

Hi,

same here I was looking at that board but I'm not too sure how the memory works i.e. can it take either ddr3 or ddr2 from the box or do you have to choose by flashing the bios for one or the other. Or are there 2 versions of the motherboard and each version only accepts either ddr2 or ddr3.

http://techgage.com/article/gigabyte_ga-p35c-ds3r/

I was also looking at the abit IP-35 series of mobo's.

Anyone have any idea as too how much the Q6600 will cost in the UK. I have seen preorders of the e6850 which are supposed to be the same price in the US priced at the 200 pounds mark after VAT.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice