1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building, overclocking and tweaking my 1st system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Corwej, Oct 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Corwej

Corwej Thread Starter

Can anyone give me any advice on what parts I should buy to get good results from tweaking and overclocking my 1st home built system? I know I should invest in a good case and fan for cooling and have heard the p4 1.6ghz is great for overclocking, but that is about all the information I have. Please if you have any advice or information on tweaks to perform and/or equipment to buy let me know. When I am done the system will be used mostly for gaming and I hope to see a big difference in performance after I get done tweaking and overclocking then when it was originally made.

Thanks!!! :D

2. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi corwej,

I don't give advice, but I'll tell you that building your first computer is a great thrill when it boots and loads for the first time!! Everybody should build one. It certainly changed my perspective and taught me a lot.

I like to mess with the lower end of things because I don't see much point in over-clocking a 2Ghz CPU. Just buy a faster one.
    The 233mhz to 1.0Ghz is kinda' my comfort zone. And, the expense is minimal by using parts and pieces that I find everywhere from the curb to the Salvation Army Store.

I did just finish the one that I'm on right now. And for a change, I used all new parts except the monitor--a 17" Panasonic for $19 and a 4.3GB IBM hard drive for $12. All total it cost me $134 and it is: A 1.0Ghz Celeron, 256MB PC133 SRAM, a Future Power mobo with integrated SIS video, sound, and ethernet. A
    56X Maddog CD-R, Win98se, and IE5.5 It's over-clocked to 1.4Ghz and running a cool 36 degrees C. It's fun but my first was a 333 AMD and junk that I still have and love.

Good luck with yours!!

Spaceman

3. rugrat

rugrat

Corwej

Just my opinion, I agree with Spaceman on the O/clocking, not much sense. That chip will do fantastic on any game made. The big performance area is the video card you choose! That will make all the difference in gaming. Along with 256MB Ram MINIMUM!

SeeYa

4. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Corwej---

I'm not a gamer except for Bridge on Yahoo and it isn't too video intensive! I'm a retired grandpa with a computer hobby.

spaceman

5. carltasha

carltasha

you wont be able to tell the difference . a few years ago you could take a celeron 300 and clock it up to 500 and save a bunch of cash . today a 1.6 gig cpu is faster than you need and clocking it up to 2g will not make a noticible difference . once your frame rate gets over 80 you cant tell . so why bother ?

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

The main thing to look at if you are going to overclock is the motherboard. Dont buy a junk motherboard. spend the money on something decent from a major manf such as Asus.

The second is keeping it cool. How much you want to spend on cooling will decide how fast you can get your processor.

look at these sites for some tips..
    http://www.sysopt.com/ocdatabase.html
    http://www.overclockers.com/
    http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/000711/

this will get you started.

that said, there is really very little point to overclocking anymore as the processors are not really the bottleneck they used to be.

as long as you are around 1.5 or faster and have a top of the line videocard, you can pretty much play anything out

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/101077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice