Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Building PC <500

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  rolandk10 
#1 ·
Hi
I'm building my first pc, primarily for gaming, which is also being done on a budget <500.
I've put together a few items after alot of web surfing and am wondering if they're compatible together. Not to mention how they would handle TitanQuest. Any useful comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

939Dual-SATA2 66.99
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 2000MHz 76.00
Radeon 9250 256MB 54.99
Update Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 83.99
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 42.99
LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM 17.99
XION XION II XON-103 Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W 64.99 - 15 rebate

407.94 - 15 rebate

I'm able to get Windows and a monitor from a friend, is there anything i'm overlooking?

#4 ·
Getting Windows from a friend? Unless he is unistalling this copy and giving you the whole thing, disc, COA, Keycode and all this is software piracy. You are better off increasing your target price by the cost of a legitimate retail copy of Windows. If he is giving you the whole nine yards and uninstalling this copy of windows from what ever it might be presently installed on, you can disregard this. But be warned this forum will not extend help on a pirated copy of any software.

#6 ·
Also note that Titan quest has had many complaints about choppy video in different parts of the game. It is very hungry for resources. I play it on a moderate system and get good results except for in the caves or when many enimies ore around. I've read posts by users claiming to have the latest SLI based machines and they expirence the same thing. While that machine you are building may fit into the system req's, the game itself is in need of a patch or two to optimize it's graphics somewhat.

#8 ·
EasY_TargeT said:
If his friend owns a legal copy of professional he can use it as he sees fit.
No he can't--when you install windows there is a licensing agreement (you have to actually hit F8 to get by it and which you agree to the terms) which dictates the terms of use. I can tell you those terms allow the software to be installed on only one machine.
So if his friend is going to uninstall XP from the machine its on now or has a CD laying around that he has not used on any other computer, then he is free to give it to the thread starter.

#9 ·
Mulder said:
No he can't--when you install windows there is a licensing agreement (you have to actually hit F8 to get by it and which you agree to the terms) which dictates the terms of use. I can tell you those terms allow the software to be installed on only one machine.
So if his friend is going to uninstall XP from the machine its on now or has a CD laying around that he has not used on any other computer, then he is free to give it to the thread starter.
One of my buddies owns a small business and he was told he was allowed to install windows xp professional on more than one computer, he was told this a Microsoft representative. This is not how he did it but you can get windows xp licenses for 2-3 computers.

#10 ·
thanks for all the input, based from this thread and a few others I'm thinking of stepping it up just a little bit so that the rig is more versatile and upgradable later. going from 929 to am2

XION XION II XON-103 Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

ASUS M2V Socket AM2 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

BIOSTAR V7602GS21 Geforce 7600GS 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SHD-16P1S - Retail

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR400/1GR - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Orleans 2000MHz HT Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA3500CNBOX - Retail

new total is right above 500 after rebates

as for the windows delimna, my friend has an unused copy of 2000ME, but if I dont see him anytime soon I'm going to talk to the local pc shop about having them install it and purchasing the liscense thru them

#12 ·
Roshen said:
thanks for all the input, based from this thread and a few others I'm thinking of stepping it up just a little bit so that the rig is more versatile and upgradable later. going from 929 to am2

XION XION II XON-103 Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

ASUS M2V Socket AM2 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

BIOSTAR V7602GS21 Geforce 7600GS 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SHD-16P1S - Retail

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR400/1GR - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Orleans 2000MHz HT Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA3500CNBOX - Retail

new total is right above 500 after rebates

as for the windows delimna, my friend has an unused copy of 2000ME, but if I dont see him anytime soon I'm going to talk to the local pc shop about having them install it and purchasing the liscense thru them
For Godsakes don't put WindowsME in a new rig (or any rig for that matter). It was the worse OS MS ever made and far inferior to XP. Do yourself a favor--you can get XP-Home for about $80 at NewEgg--maybe cheaper somewhere else (not a whole lot cheaper--make sure its from a reputable retailer). I always recommend Pro but Home is fine, especially if you aren't going to network any computers.

#14 ·
EasY_TargeT said:
One of my buddies owns a small business and he was told he was allowed to install windows xp professional on more than one computer, he was told this a Microsoft representative. This is not how he did it but you can get windows xp licenses for 2-3 computers.
He was told wrong (if he purchased a single user version). In fact, its impossible to validate a second license without hacking the software.

#16 ·
EasY_TargeT said:
Not true, he validated without breaking the program. I was surprised but he did it.
Perhaps he negotiated some special deal with MS or something, but if you try to activate a single user license that has already been activated, MS won't do it. You could call them and if there is a good reason (like maybe the computer was stolen or the computer crashed and you are putting it on another computer), they may activate a second machine manually.

#17 ·
There is a special key microsoft can give to a corporation that doesn't require activation but the licenses still have to be paid for. You just use the same key the contracted amount of times. No special version of windows, just a special key. There was one floating around on the web a few years ago and microsoft black listed it. If you try to use it, you can't run any updates or sp2. That doesn't mean they didn't re-issue a new one. In fact they did, we had to update all the keys in the offices I worked at when this happened. However, those of us who have the new key have apparently done a better job of keeping it to ourselves since it's been working for a few years now without having been banned.

#18 ·
This still sounds like a pirated copy of Win XP Pro Corporate edition. Remember that because MS hasn't caught up with it yet, doesnt make any more legitimate. You are right, a legitimate copy of XP Corporate doesnt require activation. But the licenses are expensive for multiple computer installation. And the support is included. If I were to discover that a business I patronized was using pirated software I would begin to wonder aboutthe rest of thier business practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.