1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building PC -Help we are stuck at a problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KC_AT, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KC_AT

KC_AT Thread Starter

My son and I decided to each build a PC. He has a AMD 2800+ processor, a Elitegroup K7VTA3 Ver 6.0 Motherboard with EZMedia 350W PS 256MB SDRAM memory and I have a AMD 1.2GHz processor on a ASUS A7A266 Motherboard with Deer 300W PS and 256MB SDRAM memory. This was kind of a contest between us. We are both at the point where we got everything installed and turned on the power and the board,keyboard lights up, the fans start up, the HD's spins, but neither of us get a video signal to the monitor. We went back and checked all connections, reseatted all boards, tested all ram, switched out our video cards with different ones, and tried taking out all but the basic cards, but with the same results. Please, if anyone can tell us what we might be doning wrong, we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. wizard88

wizard88

Good Morning,
    This may sound simple but does the monitor work? I would check that out first.When you know that it works properly bring the system up one peripheral at a time. First Video and memory, then harddrive. F1 or F2 to set bios. Then floppy and Fdisk. Partition and format, then restart, CDROM drivers and then load windows.
    If you get no video when you verify the monitor you could have placed the two mother board power connectors on in reverse that would also cause the unit produce no output.
    Let me know how that goes.
    Wizard88

3. KC_AT

KC_AT Thread Starter

wizard88,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, both monitors work, we tested on other PC's. We have tried disconnecting all devices except the MOBO, ram, video cards, monitor but still no signal to the monitor.

4. wizard88

wizard88

Are the video cards PCI or AGP. Clean all the contacts with alcohol and check the sockets for Packing material. Also re-seat the CPU. Try to bring the system up without RAM and harddrive(Pull both cables off mobo), Makes sure the MOBO is connected to ground. If you have a known good video card install it and see what happens. With the system powered up do a hard boot and watch for video flicker. Also With the system powered up do a hard boot and hold down the setup F key(s) to try to get the bios up and check video settings. IF this doesn't work take the MOBO back to the store and get a new one.
    wizard88

5. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

You could try booting with the mobo out of the case, in case its being shorted somewhere.

Also, if you have onboard video on those boards, try it with that and not an addon card, usually the BIOS is set to use the onboard by default.

6. norton850

norton850

One other idea. ASUS boards usually, but not always "automatically" adjust for the Front side bus (FSB). I don't know about the Elitegroup boards. The FSB bus on the 2800+ is 333 and if the 1.2GHz is an Athlon the FSB is 100. Check the manuals to see if any jumpers need to changed on the motherboard.

7. n2gun

n2gun

I would also check the clear cmos jumper. Make sure it is on pins 1 and 2. You may try resetting the cmos also by putting the jumper on pins 2 and 3 for a couple minutes.

8. KC_AT

KC_AT Thread Starter

Hi everyone who's been involved in helping on this, sorry for not getting back but I had a personal emergency and had to leave this for a day or so. I went back to this project today and would like to make some observations I've noticed. First, I was wrong when I said only one PC gives a beep, neither PC gives a post beep. Also I notice today that on the PC with the AMD 2800+ processor and a Elitegroup K7VTA3 Ver 6.0 Motherboard when I attach the HD to the motherboard it does not power up but if I take the cable from the mobo the HD will get power and power spin on. I've got a fan on the CPU, on the video card and an extra fan and they all power on. The lights on the mobo are on. The fan on the PS also powers on, but there's no post beep and no video signal. Any help would be appreciated.

9. n2gun

n2gun

It sounds like the motherboards may be shorted to the case. Take the motherboard and place it on the antistatic bag it came in and see if it will post. If it does then you will know that one of the standoffs is shorting it to ground. Use just the basic setup, Motherboard, memory, and video card when doing this.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Pull the motherboard out of the cases, they could be shorting out. Also check the IDE cables that go to the drives, if the cables are conencted the reverse way the drives may not spin up. The red strip on the IDE cables goes to Pin 1 on the motherboard and tat strip faces the power connector on the hard drive or CD-ROM.

When you pull the motherboards out put them on something thats not conductive like the motherboard box. Then connect only the mimimum needed to POST. That is connect only the video card, one stick or RAM, the CPU with heatsink/fan, power supply, and monitor. Do NOT connect any drives at all, no PCI cards like modems, no keyboard, mouse or any other external devices. Also don't conenct any of the switches or LED's from the front of the case. To power up the motherboard use a screw driver to short the two power pins on the motherboard for a second.

Then refer to the manuals to check the jumpers, ie FSB and Clear CMOS. These need to be set right. If it still fails to boot then swap parts between the two computers to test them. Don't worry about any drives for now at all, they are not required until the system actually boots.

11. ccfilms

ccfilms

Do you have the BIOS videocard setting proper? If you have an AGP card, it might be set to PCI, if you have a PCI card, it might be set to AGP..... try poping a different card with a diferent portage to see if it works. That was actually problem of mine when I first built my PC.

12. KC_AT

KC_AT Thread Starter

Thanks all, I think that you've solved it for the one that I was building, it was the motherboard being shorted out on the case, one of the little plastic pegs that support the MOBO was not in proper and the MOBO was touching the case. Once I fixed that it booted right up to the HD with the video showing. Again, thanks. So far this has not been the case for my son's PC so we will try more of your suggestions and post back to you. Thanks

13. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Please tell me that is a miss-statement in your first post. Your son should be using DDR2700, not SDRAM.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice