1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

building pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twodamnhappy, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twodamnhappy

twodamnhappy Thread Starter

Hi Everyone:
    bought atx case, fixin to buy motherboard, have a socket 370 celeron proc. wanting to use..
    All and any what/nots to do would be of great help.
    Thanks

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Tom
    Building a PC and watching it properly fire up for the first time is a very rewarding experience. If this is your first PC, fifth or twentieth the rules are the same. Spend allot of time in the research of components, any special requirements, drivers, sequence of install and so on. Most manufacturers are quite through with their equipment and will provide you with almost all the cautions\information\drivers\utilities you require. Once into the actual build take your time and double check every step along the way. Record any external numbers on items for future reference and any special builds, drivers, BIOS updates, special CMOS settings, ect. required and store them with all the documentation given or researched for that PC. Keep good notes since they can be invaluable six months down the road. Work in a clean well lit area inspecting each component as you install.
    If your Motherboard comes equiped with on-board Video and you are intending to add another Video AGAP or PCI, hold off installing the Video card until all basic components are installed and system operational. This can prevent large headaches caused by Video Driver problems being intermixed with system build problems or quirks.
    Lastly... Even though you may be experienced in PC Building keep and refer to a build manual such as the one provided by

Hardware Central
    Or
    PC Mechanic

Keep in mind even the most experienced PC Builders run into problems from time to time so be patient, do your homework, and have access to the Internet available for problem solving.

Hope that helps you and I am sure others will have thoughts also.

Dave

3. zeddy

zeddy

What I would say is don't build your system around a processor that is at the end of its line (a 370 Celeron for example). Set yourself a budget and what you aim to use the machine for and you will get lots of posts on what configuration will suit.

4. antares

antares

Make sure to do find out the information on each component. It is cruical to know them, because you can't have a memory that don't work with your motherboard.

List the the components that your going to work with and I'll see if it's valid.

5. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

"All and any what/nots to do would be of great help."

As zeddy said, save up some money then buy a new mobo, cpu(NOT Celerystick) and memory.

6. twodamnhappy

Thanks Guys: repacing sisters pc that i fried, the mobo. uses just for email and downloads, nothing serious, the board im considoring is a
    (Aopen Socket 370 ax37 pro mobo) found at dealtime.com, and yes i am having a great time at building this, so keep it coming guy's
    Thanks Twodamnhappy

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

Aopen, while not a high-performance brand, is a very decent OEM mobo manufacture and should make a fine replacement for your sister.

Just watch out for price... ie: it should be under $50, because if the price is high (you are replacing the case) then a more modern setup would be recommended. The Celeron 370 is far beyond its life. it was beyond it when Intel was still selling it a year ago.

A friend's brother's computer died, a Celeron setup. Spent about $240 to replace case (it was a mini gateway on the original PC), CPU and RAM... I gave him a modem I didnt need. But for that, he went from a Celeron 666 (okay 667) to an AMDXP1800, double the RAM and the ability to upgrade further ;)

8. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/roundup2k1mar/

" Position of a power supply slot doesn't completely corresponds to the ATX specs - the cable goes above the fan what prevents proper air circulation near the CPU."

A worrisome and possible troublesome concern with the Aopen AX37 Pro mobo.

9. twodamnhappy

O.K. --- what im gathering here is I need to forget the socket 370- considor it done, now will be looking for something sufficaint and upgradeable for sisters new pc.
    Thanks guys

10. compilerxp

compilerxp

The location of that power connector is used quite a bit in many mobo designs, I'm not thrilled by the location, but there are worse ones. You tie the power cable to the case which keeps it away from the CPU, easy to do.

twodamnhappy: If your sister just does internet and email and a few letters - then spending $40 on a board to get her going will be fine.

If you're looking for a MODERN, but low cost solution - look for this:

Asus or MSI NForce1 - MATAX style board, about $55~70 includes onboard audio / video & network. Goes up to an AMD 2600. Or for $59~86 - an NForce2 board which will go up to an AMD3200.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=Go&description=nforce,msi

Throw on an AMDXP2000 CPU for $59 (+ $12~15 for a vantec or coolermaster fan) then $50 for 256mb RAM.

Total is 198... She'd get some new features on the new board...

good luck

11. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

I just wanted to point out that precaution should be taken with the routing of the cable on the mobo. For the system usage, any monetary investment besides a cheap mobo isn't necessary at this time.

12. compilerxp

compilerxp

Agreed...

13. twodamnhappy

changing trains guys: This one's for me, sister can have emach.1742,1.7ghz,128ddr... I'm looking at a msi board(k7n2 delta-l the cpu not sure either,amd xp 2600+ 2.08 or the 2500+1.83... im on my pc all the time, just internet and mail and fileing wouldn't mind a little gaming perhaps. the emach. was allright, just somewhat slow at times, do I want the more ghz. or the larger cache, doing good guys,keep it coming, Thanks---Twodamnhappy

14. suesman

suesman

I believe the MSI board you've mentioned and either processor will be great for what intend to use it for, with room to grow.

Read every review you can man. Do loads of research on your own, don't just take our word for it. davey7549 gave great advice, use it. :D It is a great feeling to see that it all works, but can be a bit disheartening if it does not. :( Keep a working machine close at hand to get any help you might need.

Remember that all we can give you is our opinions on what to buy. It's ultimately your desision.

Best of luck to ya.

15. compilerxp

compilerxp

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice