1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building Quad-Core Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pippen, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pippen

Pippen Thread Starter

Hi. I could really use some advice on a build. I'm not a gamer. However, I'll be running heavy graphics program (3ds Max, Maya, Dreamweaver, Flash...etc). I know that not many programs are ready to work with quad-core but I'm buying for the future. I also understand that DDR3 is coming which will make DDR2 much cheaper. I want an extremely fast system but don't want to spend $5k. Need to run 3 monitors too. I'll be multitasking a lot. Use it as my TV/Video also.

Thanks,
    Pip

2. Pippen

Pippen Thread Starter

3. Pippen

Pippen Thread Starter

4. jvnderwe

jvnderwe

You could do what I'm doing and wait for the July 22nd price cuts from Intel at which time the Q6600 will drop all the way down to $266 USD.

DDR2 prices seem to have bottomed out a few weeks ago and are now on the rise. Hopefully they will stay put until July 22.

5. twizzie

twizzie

if u want i cud go thru the trouble putting together the parts. i was just wondering if u wanted good graphics.

6. twizzie

twizzie

u know what...i have 2 hours to kill so here it is lol

7. twizzie

twizzie

You should wait for Intel's Phenom but here are the parts, add 75 bucks for tax. go to newegg.com and just put the line i have into the search bar n ull have it.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - $559

Foxconn G9657MA-8EKRS2H LGA 775 Intel G965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $110

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $210

HIS Hightech H165PRF512N-R Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire support Video Card - $105.00

No sound card needed i guess, but if u do, theres an open pci slot

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write >> 2 for $75.00

HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 HDT725032VLA360 (0A33435) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive >> 2 for $150

XION Stacker XON-791B Black Steel Chassis with Aluminum Front Door ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $100

Broadway Com Corp P4-OKIA600-BLACK ATX 600W Power Supply 115/230 V FCC, CE, CSA - $41.00

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64Bit SP2C - $145.00

total: $1495, where did that thing about spending $5k come in lol, but for three monitors, your gonna need 2 video cards, and i'll be honest that get very complicated since u have to figure out how to make both cards work with one os, but its been done before lol So, how about we give u 2 22 inch monsters?? These are HUGE, like TV's.

with the monitors: < TigerDirect.com

Acer AL2216WBD 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Ultra-fast 5ms, WSXGA+ 1680x1050, DVI, VGA, Black, VESA 100mm - $200 2 for $400

so total price with the monitors > $1900

8. Pippen

Pippen Thread Starter

Twizze,

Hi. Thanks so much for the break down.

Yes, I want top graphics. I was thinking of 8800 GTS. What do you think of QX6700? Certainly need sound. Wouldn't a full tower do better since they run a bit hot? I'm just looking for feedback. Trying to learn.

thanks

9. twizzie

twizzie

Yea its cool, if you want the things you listed, theres is going to some price changes. I do not recomend the QX6700 unless you have a whole $1000 to spend on the cpu. But if you think you can even come half way to using its potential, lol go right ahead (its your american express isn't it?) Top grpahics? I have one question, why would u need top graphics for 3D graphics processing, and autocad. The full tower doesn't matter, as long as you have fans in it, that one has 3 120mm fans!! You cud add some thermal pasting on the cpu tho.

10. twizzie

twizzie

so...

Add (approx.)

$550 for OX6700 (just to let u know the one i listed is quad core as well)
    $50 for a full tower
    $15 for thermal paste
    $150 for a upgraded video card
    $450 for a top of the line video card
    $75 for a sound card

Those parts are for a little over decent parts, but if u want to save a couple of bucks lemme know

11. Pippen

Pippen Thread Starter

How do I figure out what is over kill? Like you said, if I could come close to using half of it's potential.

12. twizzie

twizzie

well all u have to explain to me (cuz im not a software guy more of a hardware guy) what ur gonna use it for. I remember when i first got into this computer game i was planning on spending over 1500 on a system. I ended up spending just 650 and a couple extra for sound card video card, speaker system and a monitor. And the computer is the best system ive ever been one, so fast with 64 bit processing. take a look at my site look at my signature right below this message. LOOK AT THE Q!XT MODEL

13. Pippen

Pippen Thread Starter

I do a ton of multi-tasking with heavy resource hogs. Like I said, I'll be doing a lot of graphics programs, listening to music, watching TV/DVDs, AOL, I download a lot....etc.

14. twizzie

twizzie

ok so lets work with what u just said. Could u tell me what kind of programs in specific?? Cuz it looks like that you go fly with Core 2 Duo, or a Q6600

1. Heavy duty graphics programs - We'll give you a nice graphics card, the motherboard is already an excellent one so it can handle it.

2. Listening to music?? Is that what you wanted a quad core for lol, we'll give you a real nice sound card, the one i have the Spundblaster audio or some like that. It the best card by far, it can power my 7.1 speaker system 125 watts Logitech P7800 effortlessly.

3. Watching TV/DVD's - don even sweat it u got a great mobo and a getting a great video card.

4. Downloading alot - you have 2 320gb hard drives, so you should be somewhat good off lol

15. twizzie

twizzie

and u got 4gb of ram to do all the multitaksing that you possible can, i dont think you even need a quad-core, barely a dual but the heavy duty prgrams u said so i suggest u can go with the real nice Q6600.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice