1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building two PCs tomorrow. Recommendations and advice appreciated.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hellyeah17, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellyeah17

hellyeah17 Thread Starter

Tomorrow I'm building two computers. One for my friend, and one for my mother.

My friend is looking to spend 600 Canadian maximum, and his main focus is to be able to play the newer games coming out with moderate performance. I'm salvaging his case and drives. He's currently on a 1.2 Celeron and a Radeon 9600XT so, I can understand his woes when he tried to run Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion with very little luck ;).

For my mother's PC, I don't really have much planned yet. Her limit is going to be 1000 Canadian with taxes included. She likes to use Photoshop from time to time, and mainly uses her computer for MSN, work, browsing the net, ect. Pretty casual computer user, but she wants fairly good hardware.

Keep in mind that the parts listed are going to be purchased from a http://www.ncix.com/ branch. They match the prices of other Canadian computer stores. So, if you do recommend specific hardware, please keep that and the cost in mind and post the link to where you found the price.

Friends PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor S939 Venice 1.8GHZ 512K L2 Cache 90NM Retail Box 139.00
    Motherboard: mATX S939 GE6100+NF410 DDR PCI-E16 SATA RAID Video Sound LAN Motherboard 87.47
    Video Card: EVGA E-GEFORCE 7600 GT CO 580MHZ PCI-E 256MB 128BIT 1.5GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out Video Card 221.79
    RAM: Samsung PC3200 512MB DDR400 184PIN DIMM OEM 39.99
    PSU: Fortron Sparkle FSP/SPI ATX-400PN 400W ATX12V 20/24PIN Power Supply W/ 120MM Fan P4 AMD Ready OEM 42.57

The fact that it only has one stick of 512 RAM is troubling, but I really couldn't add anymore without reducing the quality of the video card. I figure that if he wants more ram later on, he can do that. Better than getting a lower quality GPU.

Mother's PC

This computer really isn't going to need much raw graphical processing power, but I would like to get some decent integrated video at least. I want to make sure the motherboard has PCI-E instead of AGP. I was considering a dual core, but I'm not sure if it's needed. There is a very cost effective low-end Pentium D that I was looking at on NCIX, but it only has 533 FSB. It's also very hard to find a motherboard that takes DDR memory instead of DDRII, AND supports dual core. I'm most likely going to throw four PC3200 512MB sticks of RAM in since RAM is a cheap way of beefing things up.

I'm just looking for some suggestions :).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice