1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

building web pages

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by drafter, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

A friend of mine has asked me to build a web page for him where he could put his family photos for his distant relative to see. He has no experience in web page building and has no interest in learning. I have very little experience myself but want to learn.
    What is the best, easiest (hopefully free) software to use.
    Once I have built the site I have to make it as easy as possible for my friend to upload his pictures to this site. Will he need special software as well or can he do this from explorer in win2000 (his o/s).

thanx

2. vpn

vpn

the best thing you can use to create one, is notepad... however, if you need, or prefer something with a gui, i would suggest 1st page, coffee cup, or dreamweaver...

creating the page is rather simple, if you need help i would visit http://www.htmlhelpcentral.com or http://www.htmlgoodies.com/ both are two of the best html help sites on the net...

as far as your friend uploading images, since he doesnt have any desire to learn html, the simplest thing would be to setup an image gallery script, where he can simply upload the images and go to a url, and the script takes care of the thumbnails, etc... if you go this route, you will most likely need a host that has gd/image magic installed, along with support for perl/php... as far as uploading, the simplest thing to do would be able to find him a simple easy to use freeware ftp client...

3. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Rather than you having to learn HTML (unless you want to) and teaching him to upload, you may just want to suggest using http://www.imagestation.com/ or similar.

He can upload via his browser and you don't have to learn HTML and FTP.

John

4. suzi

suzi

Bassetman's idea is good. You can get space for online photo albums on MSN and Yahoo free (I think it's still free).

If your friend really wants a web page, a very easy to use program is CoolPage at http://www.coolpage.com. There is a trial version and it's not very expensive. It has its own built in FTP for uploading your web pages. It is total WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

I don't know how much Coffeecup is but Dreamweaver is quite spendy and not so easy to learn, imo. NetObjects Fusion is supposed to be easy to learn and use and it has a built in feature for creating an online photo gallery. It also has its own FTP.

Another alternative is to use free webspace at yahoo geocities or Tripod/Angelfire, both of which have tools for building your site.

5. bassetman

Suzi, it's not just your opinion! Dreamweaver is very spendy and a pain to learn! I took a course on learning it and still a pain! :cool:

John

6. suzi

suzi

Lol - I fought with Dreamweaver for months! :D Finally I have gotten some of the features down, but it still manages to do things to my web pages sometimes that I don't understand.

7. bassetman

Some of the mouse over effects are easier, but I usually cut and paste those into a real page! ;)

John

8. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

notepad and for uploading I use ws_ftp

that's what I use.

www.htmlgoodies.com is a great site as suggested before.

HTML-Kit is a really awesome program for making web pages. I used to use it.

besides notepad, I use Amaya .

It allows you to create compliant pages use a wysiwyg style editor.

If you can't figure out the proper code to use to get your page to validate, it will help a lot.

I would suggest html kit for beginners.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice