1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Building your own info

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rdkapp, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

I've got a question about upgrading an old Pentium II 300 mhz machine. I've got my hands on a large tower case that has soooo much room in it. It seems a waste to have all that space and upgradeability in a computer that I give to my kids. I'm having thoughts of grander things. It has 4 HD bays and 5 5.25" bays in it. As for the current hardware, it's got:

Intel Motherboard E139761 (AA 676794-306)
    Intel PII Slot 1 300mhz processor
    64 MB of Ram (not sure what kind)

I was thinking about obtaining a more current motherboard and processor and sticking them in the Tower with a SCSI card and some SCSI HDs (which I already have) and a CD burner and a DVD burner. Obviously, I'd probably have to switch out the power supply, but is there anything else I'd need to do? I'm fairly computer saavy, but I've never changed out a mobo, processor, and/or power supply.

If I can pull it off, I'll be looking at building a PC to be used mainly for multimedia purposes (audio, video, CD & DVD burning - I've got a firewire card also). Of course, I'll also be using it for surfing the net, email, word processing, and other general applications. Can you guys give me some hardware recommendations for building such a PC, or OTOH, can you suggest some websites on where I would find that kind of information? Thanks a bunch.

2. brite750

brite750

i tend to like newegg, directron, tigerdirect if they have a sale on something. The only problem i can think of with a big case are the ide cables being to short to reach the drives, if it has the standoff pattern for an ATX mobo in it shouldnt be a problem, i would check the I/O panel location also i guess to make sure it lines up with ATX.

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

If you're going to create a nice machine
    then I'd recommend you spend money on a new case. It's likely that this old one (probably heavy metal) has only the exhaust fan of the power supply so cooling is going to be a problem when you get the new mobo and processor as well as multiple hard drives, 2 optical drives, video card, etc.

As you said you'll be getting a new power supply as well so for around $40 to $60 you can get a real nice modern case.

Just a thought to think about. :D

4. brite750

brite750

otherwise you get a hole saw to match 80mm fan and install 2 or 3 fans in the side, maybe

5. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered from Newegg before, but I've never used it for technical information. It's a great site for buying though; I'll have to take a look around for technical information. Just prior to this reply, I was looking at Directron for a while and I found an article about upgrading to a P4 (http://www.directron.com/p4install.html#p4pin). OK, so a P4 upgrade may not be the best idea. However, what if I could get my hands on a top speed PIII processor with mobo? (Is there anyone still making PIII mobos and processors, or would I need to find them used?) Anyway, if I could find a working PIII processor and mobo at say 1 Ghz, are the same concerns present as an upgrade to a P4? I know the heat is not so much a factor, because I have a PIII, with 3 HDs (2 are SCSI) and 2 optical drives (both SCSI) and I don't have an overheating problem (at least I don't think I do). Are PIII mobos ATX form? Will I need a new Power Supply? Is the I/O panel a concern?

Please bear with me. I know some of my questions may not be too intelligent, but as I stated initially, I've never done a mobo or processor upgrade before. Thanks again.

6. brite750

brite750

I dont beleive you'll find anyone making them but you may be able to get one on ebay or similar site, without knowing a make and model of your case i'm not sure about the other concerns, i looked your board up on ebay and beleive it or not they had them for sale.

7. brite750

brite750

8. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

OK Brite, my eyes are open real wide now. :eek: But first, let me clarify my systems. I have a Dell OptiPlex PIII 733 mhz, with SCSI HDs and optical drives that I currently use as my main desktop computer. I recently came into possession of the PII 300 mhz, with Intel mobo E139761 (AA 676794-306) with large case. They are 2 separate computers.

Now, from your post with the ebay link to the mobo like the one I recently obtained, it apparently supports a PIII processor. Is that right? Does that necessarily mean that the one I have does also? One difference that I see in the one on eBay is that it has an AGP video slot (which is something I would like), whereas mine does not. How do I find out if mine will support a PIII processor? Can I just slip a slot I PIII processor in it and see if it will work? (Unfortunately, I don't think my PIII is a slot 1. Here's a link to a drawing of my PIII processor http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/Systems/opgx110/ens/sm/remms.htm#mp_assmbly). But, let's assume that I acquire a PIII slot I, 1 GHz processor. Is there any potential for damage to the mobo or the PIII processor if it doesn't work? And, if it does not, is it safe to assume that that PIII mobo (on eBay) will fit in my case, since its the same mobo model no?

Sorry I'm overloading you with questions, but I'd like to get a half way decent system out of that humongous case for as little $ as possible. I see it as a possible workstation/storage server, but not as a PII, 300 mhz. Any thoughts?

9. Derrick

Derrick

I think that's a great Idea ;),have done the same myself, I couldn't get that link to work in your last post, but yes you can get a slot 1 p3 processor for it but I dont think that you will find anything over 500mhz too easy thats cheap , just shop around for second hand parts flea market etc, Socket 370 mainboards are rare, so if you find one that works keep it ! the processors for those are more readily found for a good price because they usually outlast the mainboards. If I were you I would go out and get a p3 500mhz slt1 and give a try at overclocking it, very unlikly you will find a slot 1, 1ghz processor at any price, If anybody owns one there probably going to hang onto it, good luck

10. Derrick

Derrick

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice