1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buildt a new computer and no DVD-drive detected.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Celesty, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Celesty

Celesty Thread Starter

Hi, this monday I recieved the parts for my new computer, specs are (as good as I can explain)
    Asus, P5KC, p35, socket- 775, DDR2/DDR3, ATX, GbLAN, Firewire, PCI-ex16

Crucial DDR2 BallistiX pc8500 2048MB CL5, kit w/two matched BallistiX 128Megx64 (x2)

Fortron/source Epsilon 600W, blue fan, active PFC, ATX/EPS, SLI, 20/24 pin

Gainward Geforce 8800GTS 640 mb GDDR3, PCI-express, "BP8800GTS-640M-TV-DD"

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz socket LGA775, 8MB, Boxed W/fan.

Samsung DvD burner SH-s202j/BEBN

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750 GB SATA2,
    16MB 7200 RPM

I have everything put in place, two of my friends who both work as IT-support have overseen the project and it should work fine, and it does, with the exception of that at first the DVD drive would not work at all, no lights no reaction no-nothing,
    Now however I have taken it apart again, rebuilt it and this time it gets powered but it wont be detected by the BIOS, I called the support and they told me the motherboard has a "Second BIOS"- It seems to be correct that it has some sort of BIOS equivalent program in there which does about the same thing, - and that this is the bios I should access in order to get the DVD-rom to work.

However I find myself confused enough to not having a slight idea about how to get access to this "second BIOS" there is as far as I can see no button you can push to get access to it and the pictures in the manual all have the windows XP UI in the background, which make me think that you have to install an OS in order to access it (which also sounds pretty silly) however if this is true I find myself stuck in an evil circle, I need an OS to enter this bios to detect the DVD drive, but without the DVD-drive I cant install Windows and I cant get access to it...

I am probably just too new to understand this, and there is probably an easy solution somewhere, however I find myself unnable to find it.

The machine boots nicely, I am currently in the Regular BIOS and I can see the machine has detected the Hardisk Drive, but the rogue DVD-rom seems to go unnoticed.

Can someone help me with this?

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Welcome to the TSG forums...

Ny FIRST question is, what happens when you press the DEL (Delete) key during POST? When the system begins to boot, press the DEL key. Doing that should allow you to enter the CMOS Setup program, which is how you should be able to make the system recognize your DVD drive...

Please answer my question, and let's see if we can figure this out...

3. Celesty

Celesty Thread Starter

In risk of making myself look like a complete newbie, I thought that was the BIOS or are they the same?
    Anyways, yes I am in it and I am now looking at the main page.

Edit: Thank you by the way :)

4. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Some companies use the generic term "BIOS" to refer to the settings the USER can change. Technically, the user can only change settings in the CMOS, but we'll move on...

Yes, you're looking in the right place; I downloaded a copy of the manual for your motherboard (in .PDF format) so I could help you figure this out. Right now, I'll ask you to find the "ADVANCED" section of the "BIOS"; in the manual, it appears to be on page 4-24... In the .PDF file, it is Page 94. The section you are looking for is also listed in the .PDF manual as 4.4.5, OnBoard Devices Configuration...

That section mentions the "High Definition Audio" in the LEFT side pane, in BLUE, below the words "Onboard Device Configuraiton", which is an obvious misspelling of the word "configuration"...

ANYWAY, please try to find that section, and let me know when you do... Just post here and tell me you've found the right area...

5. Celesty

Celesty Thread Starter

Thanks alot for your help, I found it,
    High Definition Audio currently stands as enabled.

6. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Good, thanks for that information; I've been typing while waiting for your reply...

On that screen, "Onboard Device Configuraiton", look at the LEFT side of the pane, and find the entry for "J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller", and tell me if it shows ENABLED or DISABLED; no matter what else we do, we want to ENABLE it. If it is DISABLED, highlight the word DISABLED with the cursor keys, then press the Enter key, and change the setting to ENABLED by pressing EITHER the PLUS (+) key, OR the MINUS (-) key.

NEXT, when the "J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller" setting is listed as ENABLED, you should see an entry BELOW it shown as "Controller Mode". You want to make SURE it shows the "IDE" setting next to the line "Controller Mode"...

OK, let me know if you have problems changing any of the settings; ONCE YOU HAVE the "Controller Mode" showing the word "IDE" next to it, let me know by posting here...

7. Celesty

Celesty Thread Starter

Thats the settings it currently stands on.

8. Celesty

Celesty Thread Starter

And by the way, the message that appears after I pass the cmos:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
    or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

9. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

OK, well, according to what I've read in the manual, that is ALL that is required to enable your system to utilize the IDE connectors on the motherboard, so there is a GOOD chance we'll have everything working properly soon...

For now, please press the F10 key, and SAVE THE CMOS SETTINGS as you exit the CMOS Setup Utility... I want you to SHUT DOWN the computer, and UNPLUG it so there is NO power to the motherboard. We're going to check to make sure your hardware is properly connected PHYSICALLY, so shutting down will help to prevent any problems.

Please post when you have your system shut down and UNPLUGGED... While you're doing that, I'll continue to type more instructions....

When you get a free minute, please tell me what country you live in, just in case we decide to speed this up via a phone call...

EDIT: Just saw the message you posted about the boot devices; we'll deal with those as soon as we finish making sure you system is properly assembled, which is what we're doing now...

10. Celesty

Celesty Thread Starter

Done. And I live in norway.

11. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Norway, the land of my mother's father, T***** J***** J******, a truly wonderful man...

OK, I'll forget about calling for now, and we'll get on with the typing...

Watch for my next post... I must confess, I'm a SLOW typist...

12. Celesty

Celesty Thread Starter

Heh, cool! and ok, I dont mind waiting :)

13. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Next, I need some information from you:

First, HOW did you connect the IDE cable from the motherboard to the DVD drive? The RIGHT method is to attach the BLUE connector end of the IDE cable (which looks like a wide ribbon, usually grey) to the MOTHERBOARD, and be SURE the connector is installed properly. MOST motherboard connectors have a NOTCH (AKA "a KEY"), so that the IDE cable can ONLY fit one way...

You MUST make sure that the IDE cable is properly attached to the motherboard. Let me advise you that it is EASY to not have the connector FULLY SEATED in the socket on the motherboard, so I ask you to take a GOOD look at it, and press it down all along the connector, to ensure that the cable is FULLY seated into the motherboard connector...

Once you've done that, let me know, and I'll continue to type...

14. Celesty

Celesty Thread Starter

I took the cable out, re-entered it, pushed it down all over, and did the same thing to the end in the DVD-drive, the blue end is currently connected to the Motherboard and a black one connected to the DVD-drive, I also have a grey one in the middle of it currently un-slotted (if that is a word)

15. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

EXCELLENT!

Next, please open this page:

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80.html

and look at the photo of the grey IDE cable. It has 80 conductor wires, which are thin. You can see the BLUE and BLACK connectors on the ENDS of the cable, and the GREY connector in the middle of the cable...

Guess you don't really need to SEE that photo now... I'll continue to type...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice