1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Built a computer....but problems on startup!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dnewey, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dnewey

dnewey Thread Starter

This is the first time I've tried to build a computer. Before this, I have only done as much as installing a new video card.

When it came time to start up, I looked at the bios a bit and then quit and restarted before putting the windows CD in. Everything worked fine, the computer read the CD and started installing files. However, when it said that it was about to start windows XP, I got a blue screen of death.

Now, when I try to start up, sometimes i just get to the screen with the blinking cursor, and the computer eventually shuts down. Other times, it shuts down almost as soon as it starts up. I've also tried running the bios, but eventually it will shut down here as well. I'm kind of lost, but it seems like it might be a power problem? or really multiple problems...? If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it :D

Here are my specs:

-ASUS P5K PRO LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
    -Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
    -CORSAIR Dominator 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Quad Kit Desktop Memory
    -XFX GX260NADDU GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
    -Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    -Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails
    -Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I would take it down to the minimum system and possibly out of the box

So just have the
    PSU
    Motherboard
    Harddrive
    Video

see if that responds

Are you getting any bleeps when starting

reseat all the models - make sure they are connected OK

3. dnewey

dnewey Thread Starter

I get one beep at the beginning, which according to my motherboard means"VGA detected, Quick boot set to disabled, No Keyboard detected" I dont see how this can be correct, as my keyboard is connected, and quick boot is enabled in the bios.

4. dnewey

dnewey Thread Starter

I checked the bios, (before my computer died again), and the CPU temp is at 80. is this a problem?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes. You most likely do not have the hsf installed correctly. This is a very common problem with new builders since the socket 775's can be a pain to install the hsf. After you have done a few, they are no big deal however the first or second time they can be difficult.

If you have a standard intel hsf, you can attempt to reseat it correctly. To do this, unlock all four push pins. Now place the pins in the lock position. Use your fingers to push opposite pins in place. You should hear an audible click when the pins are fully seated. Push the other two pins and then attempt a power ON.

FWIW I always recommend installing socket 775 hsf out of the case; ie pull the board. With the board out of the case, you can check the back of the board to make sure all four push pins are fully engaged.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    could be - if thats 80C - thats a very high temp and the bios will shut the PC down, mine is set to alarm at 82 and switch off at 85 - Thats for a AMD PC
    Intel run much cooler

Did you put a small amount of heatsink compound on the CPU between the heatsink FAN and the CPU ?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I see one other issue however I doubt it is causing your present problem. The memory you selected needs a higher vdimm [ram voltage] set in the bios. That memory needs 2.0~2.1V and your board will default to 1.8V. Failure to set the correct ram voltage will result in stability issues.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW those hsf need to have approx 15lbs of downforce or clamping force or the system will shutdown.

Etaf brings up a good point. If you did not use a standard intel hsf, did you use thermal compound? Most [however not all] hsf come with a thermal pad. The ones that do not must have compound applied prior to installation.

9. Compiler

Compiler

etaf... AMD hasn't been that hot for over 5 years... Those P4s thou... especially 3+Ghz were room heaters. But yeah, high end Core2s are cooler than AMD Quads.

Dnewey, we're glad you were able to notice the CPU temp before a shutdown. That is extremely high. I believe around 90c, the CPU becomes toasted... anything above 50c is something to take note, above 60 means problems. With an intel cooler (and depending on your case) it should be around 40~44c. Artic Silver and or a higher end cooler is better.

10. dnewey

dnewey Thread Starter

ok, I did as crjdriver said was able to to set the hsf in correctly. It no longer shutsdown :)

However, I tried to install windows(XP) again...and bsod :(

STOP 0x0000006F..

11. dnewey

dnewey Thread Starter

OK...so it turns out the bsod problem was due to a bad cd/dvd drive from the windows disk I was using. I guess I'll send that one back to newegg for replacement, and use a bootleg version of XP pro for now ^_^

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is possible that it is a bad CD however did you set the correct ram voltage?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice