BUilt a PC, now it doesn't work :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

the_fox

Sorry if this has been posted, I searched but did not find an answer.

The PC is home built.
First, relevant specs (problem to follow):
Foxconn socket 939 bundle with NF4K8AC-RS motherboard and Athlon 64 3000+ CPU and Foxconn CMAK82BX-C CPU Cooler
Case: ATX460W CE, UL, TÜV standards (PSU 230V AC)
Power supplies available: Provided French mains cable with adaptor
Old emachines mains cable 250V 10A

Now, the problem: We've put the thing together and when we try to turn it on the PSU emits a buzzing sound but the cooler doesn't start (and, from what we see, nothing else either).

Except for the hard disk, everything in this is brand new. I know that a buzzing sound and nothing starting could be a dead PSU but it seems so unlikely, since I got it a few days ago. I thought maybe the CPU was busted but would the cooler start regardless? There is no LED so I can't use that as a sign that power is going to the motherboard...
The sound from the power supply is not a beep. It is a very quit buzz. Not even a hum, really.

We are so lost as to what the problem could be! How can you tell if the CPU is busted? Or if everything's set up correctly? :( Wouldn't the PC start to run if it was just a matter of not enough power going in? It doesn't even start.

As you can tell, I'm pretty new to this.

Thanks.

Have you set the correct voltage setting on the psu?
Do the fans turn on the psu?

the_fox

There is no switch to change the voltage on this case.

No fans turn on. There is only a buzz.

Did you clear the bios with the jumpers on the mobo? Did you check that these jumpers were on the right pins? (on a new mobo they are quite often on the wrong pins to save battery life)

If you are using ide cables, are they the right way round, especially to the cd/dvd drive/s

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts