1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Built computer...bur doesnt work!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ipatriot, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ipatriot

ipatriot Thread Starter

Hi there,

Just built a computer using :

1 x PcChips M848ALU SKT A SIS 748 400 DDR AGPx8 ATA133 6CH Sound/lAN/USB 2.0 Upto a 3.2+ CPU
    Motherboard in Retail Box
    1 x AMD ATHLON XP2500+ 333MHZ FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton CPU - OEM
    1 x Coolermaster CP5-8JD1F-0L Upto XP3200+ Silent Skt A Heatsink & Fan
    1 x Ebuyer 256 DDR400 PC3200 Extra Value Ram
    1 x Excelstor ESJ680G 80gb 7200rpm ATA100 OEM IDE with 3year Warranty.
    1 x Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR 8x AGP S-VIDEO TV OUTPUT CRT Retail Box

put it all together booted up first time went into bios and it just shut its self off ... so booted it up agian went into bois changed everything to what the should be it restarted its self said it was a 2.5 but then just shut its self off again.

so i thought i must hav somethin wrong so i changed the ide leads around to see if that would make any difference but that didnt and now it wont boot at all!

The fan goes arounds and the cdrom lights up and the hard drive makes a beep and thats it ..the screen will not do anything??

i hav changed the psu...but no luck and i hav tyed the graphics card in another computer and it works fine!

Any idea's what i could try or maybe wrong??

Thanks Ipatriot

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Disconnect everything and pull it out of the case. Set it up on a static free surface and connect only the CPU with Heatsink/Fan, one stick of RAM, the Video cad, and the powersupply. You can power the system up by shorting the power switch pins for an instant. This way you avoid shorting the motherboard on the case and its easier to work with. It also allows you to see if the heatsink is on the CPU properly. Do not connect any hard drives or PCI cards - the computer should still boot up and stay on. If it does then you add pieces one by one. make sure the Drive cables are connected correctly - the red strip must go to Pin 1 on the motherboard and faces the power connector on each drive.

3. ipatriot

ipatriot Thread Starter

ok thanks ill give that a try now and let u know how i get on.

4. n2gun

n2gun

Also the link below is a PcChips help board. If you continue to have problems, check out that board. There is a lot of good info on it. Also though the board is NOT a PcChips site their techs do check the board and answer questions.

http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142/pcchips/

5. ipatriot

ipatriot Thread Starter

hmm done like you say but still get nothing??
    Thanks

6. ipatriot

ipatriot Thread Starter

oh well ill just send the motherboard and cpu back.

Thanks anyway

7. srhoades

srhoades

I know it sounds silly but make sure the heatsink is not on backwards, it will produce results like you are describing. Also, you said it showed 2.5....the actual speed of the processor you have is 1.83Ghz.....clear the BIOS and check your clock and bus speeds.

8. ipatriot

ipatriot Thread Starter

yer but wont it display it as an amd xp2500???

ill try changing the heat sink around

9. ipatriot

ipatriot Thread Starter

nope doesnt make any differnce :(

Cheers ipatriot

10. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Are you SURE you have a good ground? Don't just "assume" that you do, verify it with a VTVM. Make sure ALL of the cards are NOT plugged in. At this point you just want the CPU, memory, power supply and the board hooked up. If it boots correctly then one by one start plugging int the cards and re-verify. If it doesn't boot up then send it all back nd try again ;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice