1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Built computer won't detect monitor.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JamesPreiss, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesPreiss

JamesPreiss Thread Starter

All right. Here's the story. I had an old Acer computer from about 3 years ago. Standard "budget" computer. About two months ago i decided to upgrade. I bought a tomohawk 500AWT power supply, a 1GB HD 5670 graphics card, and 4gb of DDR2 ram, because that's all the board could take. Plus, i was running Vista 32-bit.

I was using a tech guy, and he installed the parts himself. However, when i got it home my computer kept freezing up. It would kick me out of starcraft and say "driver has stopped responding and recovered". Or something similar. I took it back to him, and he tried putting in another graphics card an x1600 (considerably more ******). That took care of the problem, and i was content because for the most part, my computer ran starcraft okay. The processor i had a 2.2ghz dual core pentium II (i believe) was causing minor problems. Star craft would freeze in-game and then unfreeze after about 30 seconds, but i could deal.

About a month ago the computer started to bluescreen frequently and it started freezing in-game more often. I convinced myself that i could afford new parts so i went on newegg and bought a Biostar A870 board, a Pheom II X4 955 3.2Ghz cpu, and 4G of ram.

I received them yesterday, and here's where the fun began. I figured out first thing that my mid-size tower wasn't going to fit the motherboard so i called around and found a used chassis for twenty bucks. I went and picked it up, and then came home to install the parts. Using my 500gb hdd, dvd drive, power supply and graphics card that i already owned i began to build the computer. When i put it all together (after about 2 hours) it wouldn't turn on. Everything was plugged together but the system simply wouldn't turn on. I was extremely bummed out and had no idea what to do. All the troubleshooting i did led me nowhere. I assumed it was a faulty switch in the case so i gave up for the night and went to sleep.

This morning i took apart the system and after talking to my mom decided that maybe it was a better idea to return the parts (saying there were unused) and just buy a new computer. I talked to newegg and they say i had 14 days to return them for a refund. I then talked to the guy i bought the chassis from and he said that he would exchange the case but wouldn't give me my money back. While i waited i decided to test the wiring in the case for conductivity. The wiring was good, so i was confused. My dad offered to help me today so we put it together again. Hooking everything up it turned on this time. I'm not positive why, but i think it was due to the wiring being plugged in incorrectly.

Ecstatic that it was actually able to turn on now, i went and grabbed my monitor, keyboard and mouse to plug it in and try it out. However, when i plugged in the monitor, it received no signal. I tried switching out the graphics card and still nothing. I read in the manual that the slot i was putting it into was an x4 slot (i think), so i put it into an x16 slot. However, i was still getting the same results. Even with the ****** card. The fan on the processor, power supply, and graphics card were all running so i don't know what the problem is. The first time i was putting everything in i was on carpet and i wasn't grounded (yeah, i know it's bad). The second time i was on hardwood and was grounded. But i'm stumped.

However, when i took everything out again, i put the card, power supply and hdd/dvd drive back into my old computer. I decided that the parts i had were possibly faulty and wanted to play starcraft that night. But when i turned the computer on, it would go to the start-up screen and then go to a black screen and an "underscore" would flash at the top left corner of the screen. I tried doing everything and it just would not go past that. So i took everything out and put it in the computer today.

Every tech guy i talk to is quoting me around 150 bucks, and doesn't promise that the parts will work. I really can't afford that since i still don't have enough for second term of school next year. Pretty short on money, and extremely frustrated. Hope you can help, and sorry for the essay :)

- James

2. olryst

olryst

The little black line flashing is to do with it not being able to boot in to windows.

You could try downlading Vista 32bit recovery cd, if your still running vista 32bit.

http://digiex.net/downloads/download-center-2-0/applications/956-windows-vista-32-bit-x86-recovery-disc.html

You will need to burn the file, you download, to a cd and boot from it.

With the new motherboard etc.

Try turning it on with just one RAM stick in motherboard, sometimes you have to set the RAM setting manually in bios and the voltage might not be high enougth for two sticks, or how ever many you have.

You can find out the setting by going to RAM manufacturers website.

The graphics card should go in the X16 slot, Should be a black one on your motherboard with a white latch at one end.

What some people do is put there computer together outside of the case, to rule out any shorting out etc from inside case.

If your confident doing this be sure to do this in a static free environment.

Make sure you have plugged in the 4 pin CPU power plug in to the motherboard (top right)

Did you try reseting the cmos on the new computer aswell, with motherboard battery/jumper.

Check the CPU heatsink is properly attached and check cpu temp in bios if you can.

3. JamesPreiss

JamesPreiss Thread Starter

No, i think you may be a little confused.

The new computer i just built (has a motherboard, processor and RAM) doesn't show anything on start up. When i turn it on, nothing happens. I will turn off the monitor, and when i turn it back on it says "No signal" for about 3 seconds and then goes into "stand-by". That's what i'm confused about.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1014285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice