1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Built from scratch computer, Only the LED light works? O.o'''

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arleiatss, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arleiatss

Arleiatss Thread Starter

I just resently bought quite a few components to build my first computer, and for some reason it won't work. I refuse to take it to the geek squad, it's just scary pricey.
    List of new stuff:
    Thermaltake Toughpower cable management 1200W Power Supply
    XFX nForce 780i SLI motherboard
    WD SATA Hard Drive 320gb
    WD VelociRaptor Hard Drive 300gb
    CM 932 HAF Full Tower Chassis
    Memorex Internal High-speed DVD-ROM reader
    Pioneer Internal DVD/CD writer DVD1910
    Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler CNPS9700 NT
    VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 Video Card 512mb
    Saitek Eclipse II Illuminated Keyboard
    Trooper MVP Gaming Mouse
    And A Gateway 24'' HDMI screen
    And Also Logitech 5.1 Speakers

Pretty much I trouble shooted the whole thing, and I can't figure out why the only thing that turns on is the LED light on the motherboard. You would think that it would at least turn on the fan in the power supply, even the cords are connected for the power, and reset buttons. Thank you for your patients and if you need anymore pictures just ask, or questions that too.
    [​IMG]

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. Arleiatss

Arleiatss Thread Starter

YAY! More disappointment. I took the motherboard back to the store, and it was fried. I got an exchange, and I plugged it all together. but guess what? the LED light won't even light up on this one. v.v''' I have just the luck.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Ive often found that if no fans move, not even the PSU internal fan then its often the PSU itself at fault. Do you have known working PSU you can test with, just do a bare bones test with mobo, cpu and ram to see if it fires up?

Keep at it, you will get it sorted. Can be very frustrating sometimes, especially if its your first build.

5. BG-0

BG-0

Before testing anything else, replace the PSU. Otherwise you can fry the new MB and many more parts... (If it "works", giving some kind of broken power, even without firing up)

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Did you put the replacement MB in the case too?

Try getting the basic parts (MB, CPU, Ram, Video, HD, Monitor, DVD - if needed) working outside the case first.

Make sure there are no extra metal MB standoffs in the case that are not lined up with a screw hole on the MB. This can cause a short when the MB is installed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice