Built-in webcam and external webcam aren't working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NadiaY

My laptop is an Asus Zenbook, model: UX331U Notebook PC.

The built-in webcam has never worked. The camera app will always show a blank screen when opened. After which an error code will be shown: 0xA00F4292<PhotoCaptureStartTimeout> (Screenshot 14). I've tried restarting my laptop, uninstalling and reinstalling the camera from Device Manager but to no avail.

So I decided to get an external webcam as a replacement. This didn't work either. I opened up Zoom and both built-in and external webcams options will be shown but neither will produce an image (Screenshots 15 & 16).
I decided to try the external webcam on my work laptop and that worked. It was automatically detected and I can see myself on the screen.

So I know my laptop is the problem and I hope someone here can help provide me with a solution. Thank you in advance.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210226231120.000000+480
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 475 GB (389 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. UX331UAL, ver 1.0, s/n N0CV1805MB0059171
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver _ASUS_ - 1072009, s/n J2N0CV03616206B
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

Couriant

James
To confirm, did you make sure that Windows is allowing access to the cameras? Under Settings > Privacy > Camera

1632409241574.png

Couriant

James
Do you have any internet security programs like Norton or McAfee?

Couriant

James
Try disabling the firewall temporarily to see if that helps.

Couriant

James
Since that you are having issues with 2 cameras, the most likely issue is a permission somewhere... You may need to remove the McAfee software to ensure that it's not conflicting. But let's try this:

Reset the Camera App to the Defaults

The Camera app may show the 0xA00F4292 issue if the installation of the camera app is corrupt. In this context, resetting the Camera app to the defaults may solve the problem.

Right-click Windows and open Apps & Features.

Open Apps & Features
Now find the Camera app and click to expand it.
Then open Advanced Options and click the Terminate button.
1632523906033.png
Open the Advanced Options of the Camera App
Now click on the Reset button and then confirm to reset the Camera app.

1632523917552.png

Terminate and Reset the Camera App

Then reboot your PC and upon reboot, check if the system is clear of the 0xA00F4292 issue.

From appuals.com

NadiaY

Since that you are having issues with 2 cameras, the most likely issue is a permission somewhere... You may need to remove the McAfee software to ensure that it's not conflicting. But let's try this:

Reset the Camera App to the Defaults

The Camera app may show the 0xA00F4292 issue if the installation of the camera app is corrupt. In this context, resetting the Camera app to the defaults may solve the problem.

Right-click Windows and open Apps & Features.

Open Apps & Features
Now find the Camera app and click to expand it.
Then open Advanced Options and click the Terminate button.
View attachment 291096
Open the Advanced Options of the Camera App
Now click on the Reset button and then confirm to reset the Camera app.

View attachment 291097

Terminate and Reset the Camera App

Then reboot your PC and upon reboot, check if the system is clear of the 0xA00F4292 issue.

From appuals.com
I've terminated and reset the Camera app and restarted my laptop but the error code 0xA00F4292 still shows up 😅

Last edited:

NadiaY

Have you checked the settings in the Zoom app?
I have never used Zoom in Windows only on android. My husband has at least 1 Zoom meeting a month. We had to enable video and audio because 1 or both options were off.

Look over video here
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/categories/201137166
Yes I have, I'm familiar the video setting will be on but there'll be nothing on the screen. If I switch the video setting off, I'll see my profile picture on the screen instead.

Couriant

James
OK. I do t think it’s a driver issue because it’s happening on two separate devices, but you can always get the latest driver from the manufacturer to make sure …. I strongly suspect you have a program they is blocking the cameras.

you could try using the mcafee removal tool and the. Reboot to see if that helps. Other than that would the ultimate test for software issues - reinstall windows.

how oldis the machine? If it’s under a year I would suggest contacting asus and see what they say.

NadiaY

OK. I do t think it’s a driver issue because it’s happening on two separate devices, but you can always get the latest driver from the manufacturer to make sure …. I strongly suspect you have a program they is blocking the cameras.

you could try using the mcafee removal tool and the. Reboot to see if that helps. Other than that would the ultimate test for software issues - reinstall windows.

how oldis the machine? If it’s under a year I would suggest contacting asus and see what they say.
I really don't know what the possible program could be..haha

I've gone to a laptop store before since my screen was acting up and I asked the guy there about the built-in camera. He said buying an integrated webcam would be way cheaper than getting it fixed.. Turns out this might be an internal issue huh

I've had this laptop for more than a year actually

plodr

Liz
The built-in webcam has never worked.
Why didn't you report this while it was still under warranty?

He said buying an integrated webcam would be way cheaper than getting it fixed..
I suspect you were told that buying an external camera is cheaper than tearing a laptop apart and repairing or replacing the integrated camera.

An external camera should work whether the internal camera is operational or not.
Make sure you have disabled the internal camera, even if it doesn't work, and set the external camera as the default.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...l-webcam/2d2e108b-0f7b-47b0-8bac-6025bdcc9250

Couriant

James
The OP had used an external camera @plodr and still get the same issue. Maybe disabling the internal one might help the external one

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online