1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

built-in webcam not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechSupportedGuy, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechSupportedGuy

TechSupportedGuy Account Closed Thread Starter

Let me start off by saying "Hello!" I'm new here and am looking forward to expanding my knowledge.

I'm home on break and trying to set up Skype on my Dad's work laptop for my Mom to use for her grad school classes. Unfortunately, the built-in webcam was not recognized, either by Skype, or, so far as I can tell, the laptop itself. I'm guessing there's probably a driver missing, but I don't know how to go about finding it, and I'm not sure if there are other issues here that need to be addressed.

Any help with resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

If the laptop is owned by your dad's employer, then it is possible that they may have had it specifically configured with the webcam disabled. If that is the case, your dad should first check with the company's IT department if he is permitted to install drivers and other software on the laptop.

If it is his own computer and it is the one listed in your profile, then you may be able to get some support and download drivers from the Seneca Data web site:
    http://www.senecadata.com/Partner/Products/Mobile/Nexlink-Notebooks.aspx

http://drivers.senecadata.com/

3. TechSupportedGuy

Thank you!

It is the on listed in my profile, yes. I've entered just about everything that looks like a serial number into the box, but to no avail: perhaps it was manufactured prior to Jan 16, 2005, or maybe I'm just terrible at identifying serial numbers.

Thank you for your help.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  5. TechSupportedGuy

Thanks, I'll shoot them an email, as it's outside of their business hours. I don't expect I'll hear back from them 'til Monday at the earliest, but I'll let you know if I hear anything from them. I tried calling earlier in the day, but I missed their business hours by about forty minutes.

Thanks again.

6. TechSupportedGuy

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Is the cam listed in Device Manager? If so, what is the status?

If it's not listed, there is likely a hardware issue (ie: faulty camera). Windows can't install drivers for hardware that is not detected. And if it's not detected, it's typically a hardware issue.

8. TechSupportedGuy

It is not listed, nor can it be found by Speccy. I imagine the most cost-effective solution would be to buy a new camera? Thanks.

9. TechSupportedGuy

Windows was updated by the IT guy at my Dad's work, and the camera started working again, but only for a day or two. Does this new information change the diagnosis at all?

10. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    No. Still sounds like faulty hardware. Faulty doesn't necessarily mean dead. It may work sometimes and other times not.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/996876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice