1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Built-In Webcam not working on Gateway Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chantingbuddha, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chantingbuddha

chantingbuddha Thread Starter

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post.
    Earlier this year I purchased a Gateway NE17B series laptop. I am having issues with the webcam. Running Windows 8.1, when I open the Camera app, it displays the error message: Something's wrong with your camera or Please connect your camera. After doing some research, I read to disable the driver, restart, then enable. I did that and it actually starting working!
    Not wanting to use the camera app with Windows 8.1, I downloaded another free program. Now, the webcam is back to not working again. I uninstalled the software I downloaded and repeated the disable/restart/enable steps and it's still not working.
    It seems anytime I try to use the webcam inside ANY program, such as Skype, the webcam will come on for a second, I'll see myself, then it goes away. This has happened in a few different programs when I tried using the webcam.

In the device manager, under Imaging, it says HD Webcam. So, I'm not real sure what manufacturer of the software is.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get this webcam working again?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    -Jonathan:p

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 20 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 5706 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7340 Graphics, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 696815 MB, Free - 632851 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, EG70_BZ
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014,

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What is the status of the device (webcam) in Device Manager (when it's not working)?

3. chantingbuddha

Oddba11, the status is "The device is working" ...which, it's clearly not.

4. Ze_Dude

Ze_Dude

Are you sure the camera drivers have been installed and enabled properly? If not, try reinstalling them. If so, the camera may not be connected to the motherboard properly or it is damaged.

5. chantingbuddha

Ze_Dude,
    I have uninstalled the driver, restarted and they installed automatically. Sometimes, it will come on, I'll see myself, then it goes away.

6. Ze_Dude

Ze_Dude

Have you tried opening up your computer and checking if the camera connection on the motherboard is loose?

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If it were a loose cable, connectivity to the cam would be intermittent or not working, thus Windows wouldn't be able to see the device and the status would change (ie: it would not be "ok").

I'd suspect a hardware fault, software conflict, OS issue, or possibly the drivers. If it were a standard cam (ie: not a built-in laptop cam), you could test on another PC to help narrow down the cause.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice