1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Built in wireless- no longer working?!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kitkat67, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kitkat67

kitkat67 Thread Starter

Hi to all,
    this is my first time to the forum and let me just start by saying- "way too much information"!!! My goodness, I have spent the last 3 hours here just reading. Boy, I almost forgot what my trouble was.
    Anyhoo, here goes- My problem is with my sony vaio laptop, running Vista.It has built in wireless or it did. Somehow, the NIC card is not operating. I connect through a linksys VOIP router that is connected to my desktop. I went through the drill of resetting my router back to factory settings; got my phone back up and running and have been trying to connect wireless with my laptop.
    These connections have worked for the past 3 months. Here is what is strange for me- my laptop is not even picking up any other networks in the area, which it usually does. I live in a condo complex and there are as many as 5 networks that normally show up.

I just so happen to have a linksys usb compact adapter for wireless connection and that is the only way I can connect.

Any help here I would appreciate. What am I doig wrong? or has anybody had this happen before?

Thanks so much!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, did you check to see if you have simply switched the wireless capability off? There is either a switch on the side of the computer, or a function sequence that will turn the wireless on and off.

If that proves not to be the issue, let's do the following.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

I'd also like to see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Two additional questions--the USB adapter probably has one or two LEDs; does at least one of them come on? Do you have any other USB devices that draw power from the USB ports?

4. SD-B

SD-B

sounds like the problem I had earlier today in the now solved ACER networking thread.....I to live insuch a building and normally had about 5 to pick from, but then, nothing, nadda, zero, zilch

once i found that little button JohnWill speaks of..........i was able to connect again

5. kitkat67

kitkat67 Thread Starter

hi johnwill, the first command you had me try- devmgmt.msc didnt work. got an error message. but I did the cmd prompt and here are the results from that
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\kathy>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : kathy-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : home
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Users\kathy>

6. kitkat67

kitkat67 Thread Starter

I was able to view network adapters and there were not any exclamation marks or red ones.

7. JohnWill

Your IPCONFIG shows no network hardware recognized by Windows at all. What EXACTLY appears in Device Manager under Network adapters? I'd like to see a screen shot.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

8. kitkat67

kitkat67 Thread Starter

I tried doing the above action to show you what is there, but I couldnt get it to work. But, here is the devices shown:
    compact wireless-g usb adapter#2
    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi link 4965 AGN
    Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC(NDIS6.0)
    The first one is my adapter i need to use to connect.

Any advice would be appreciated. I clcked on each device above and looked at properties; system says all drivers are working properly?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry about my post #3; I was thinking (or not thinking!) that the USB adapter was the problem. :(

Does the connection for the Intel adapter show in Network Connections? If so, right click on it and if 'enable' is an option select it.

You haven't yet responded to the two mentions of the wireless switch. Do you know what it is on your laptop? And is the integrated wireless switched on? Is there a LED indicating so?

10. JohnWill

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.[/b
    Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

I'd like to see this again at this point.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice