1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

built new computer ,everything seems to work but the display?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sorcerer1971, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sorcerer1971

sorcerer1971 Thread Starter

i always built frankensteins from several non functioning computers to make a couple ones that work,but i never built a new one from new parts till now.i ordered these parts from geeks.com

1 MSI MS-7210 intel 945G socket 775 mATX motherboard with celeron processor and heatsink/fan preinstalled.

1 Logisys cs-206BK 10 Bay atx mid tower computer case w/480W

1 Nvidia GeForce 9500GS 512MB DDR2 RAM pci express PCle dvi/vga/vi

2 CenDyne 1GB DDR2RAM PC2-6400 240 pin DIMM

1 Western Digital Caviar RE16 160 GB SATA/150 7200RPM

i already had a lightscribe dvd/rw i added as well.

*******The thing is when i put it all together like i usualy do making used pc's.everything went smooth and according to the motherboard manual< which i had to download =i received absolutly no documents or cd's with drivers,bios for any of my purchases, no cords either that were in the pictures i clicked on to buy> the only things i couldnt do according to the manual was :

a) connect the "power on LED" to the open pins with the rest because the case has a 12v old school male with only 2 wires that i had to attach to a 12v cos thats how it came.

b) I dunno if it matters or what but the CPU 8 pin on the mobo came with a plastic clip covering 4 pins, and the case power supply only provided a 4 pin power supply.

so i hooked everything up according to the plans and attached all the bells whistles on the case< usb's, audio,leds,switches.triple checked everything.assured the risers kept mobo from touching anything. attached all the power to the mobo<all 3> seated the ram and vidcard securly.and then hooked it up to the monitor im using right now to the vid card and fired it up to get the bios as usual...

BUT everything came to life but the monitor feed.nada.fan lights drives vidcard internet lan all lit up and no picture.

so i took it all apart again and breadboarded it one peice at a time and everything fired up. so i rebuilt it
    again with the manual as my guide but only installed the barebones items and one stick of ram in slot 1.
    tried again and nothing. tried putting os disk in restart to load drivers and i dunno what happened cos no monitor to show me.so i investigated online and was told to take out the battery for 10 mins to reset the cmos.still nothing. so i put it all back together everything in case< for safe keeping>and set it aside
    to come and search for answers cos everything is closed till monday and i hope to figure it out before im forced to take it somewhere.i do not have a speaker i ordered and everything is closed till monday so i cant get one to hear beeps.manual doenst have the beep translation anyways.

i cant find info on if the 4 pin powersupply is correct but with the factory cover on 4 of the 8 mobo pins it makes sense ,but i dunno. if anyone can walk me through a remedy i would be most happy lol.

ive seen almost every posted link online in forums and they all concern mobo with no onboard vga which negates the information for me cos mine has it.

i even went to a tech site and offered them money for a resolution and sat there for 45 mins while my question got passed from one tech to another with no answer.so i got a refund.i think they were all 1/2 asleep lol.

please tell me the simple thing i have overlooked so i can finish the build and give this 1998 frankenstein im using right now to the kids to play on.lol i had to take it back to seek answers and they are forming a protest!

there is no os no drivers no nothing cept what it came with. i plan to install ubuntu or xp on it once it shows me a screen.

2. sorcerer1971

wow i found the answer 10 seconds after i posted right here in catchtwentytwos thread! super and online techs couldnt figure it out for 50 bux..ok i love this place..nuff said THANKS!!

3. sorcerer1971

oh answer was put ram in a1 and b1 slots and it kicked right on!!

4. sorcerer1971

PROPS To FRANK4D !!!!! for the time released answer to my question lol. he knew i was coming to ask somehow?! freakin awesome frank thanks!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice