1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Built new computer.. OS must hate me!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jus10evans, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jus10evans

jus10evans Thread Starter

Ok.. i just put together a new pc (obviously my first time).. everything appeared to be fine.. i installed the only OS i had at the time which was Win. 95.. it was stable and the computer was working fine.. however i recently acquired both Windows 2000 Pro, and XP Pro.. sooooo i reformatted my drive, and attempted to install from the CD... heres were the problem comes in.. the XP disk gets all the way until about 8 mins. left in the install.. (i think its the regestering compen. part) and it just FREEEZES!!! so i have to reboot.. and do the whole thing over..just so it can FREEZE again!... I am clueless as to what the problem could be.. More than likely i would guess it to be something in the BIOS, but im new at this and dont have a clue!!.. also i tried to reformat and install the WIN 2000 disk.. and it finishes the text version install screen.. reboots (everything looks normal.. ie* win boot up screen and the little meter thing) but after that POOF its just stuck on a light teal colored background.. no icons, no mouse, no nothing!!! i neeed help!!...

ok here is what im working with...
    AMD Duron 1000mhz
    Maxtor 7200 40gig
    ESC mainboard
    Nvidia geforce 2 video

any tips would be greatly appreaciated
    Justin

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

You will need to know the model number of the motherboard so you can go over to http://www.ecs.com.tw/ and check to see if there is a bios issue. I did a quick look, but they list over 40 motherboards.

3. jus10evans

the board is the K7S5A with onboard LAN.. i checked out the sight and saw the updates, however.. none of them said my problem exactly.. should i still attempt to update the bios? ?

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

I saw several references to setting the motherboard back to 100 bus. I also saw several references to replacing the powersupply.

Here is a link to a board dedicated to that motherboard. It is slow loading though. Apparently they have all 1600 questions on one page.

http://www.ecsusa.com/Ecs_forum/list.cfm?forum=69

5. jus10evans

to flash the bios do i need to make a setup disk (boot) or just like a ms dos boot disk... because Windows 2000 Pro.. has 4 disks. and i think XP Pro has 6!! .. what ever happened to the ONE disk thing?? i dont understand what to do.. if i make all 4 Win 2K disks.. do i put the flash stuff on disk 4?? or can i just use the flash stuff from a c: prompt?? why do i need the boot disk?

begining to hate computers
    justin

6. brianF

brianF

You don't have anything on the hard drive yet so just use a win98 startup disk to get to the c prompt, choose without cdrom support. Do your flash and then continue.

7. vendpro

vendpro

If your flash doesn't work I would seriously consider a different mb.

I recently purchased an ecs. The on board sound doesn't work. Not even ECS can tell me how to fix it. I wish now that I had researched the board more. I believe the board you have had more problem posts on the ECS sight than mine did. (K7AMA)
    After seeing the posts, I am thankful that sound is the only problem I am having.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!