1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

builtin admin acct

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pcguy9441, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

What's the difference between using the built-in admin account in Win7 vs simply creating a new account, calling it "Admin" and giving it admin privilege?

Is there a downside to leaving the built-in admin acct. active?

Thanks!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The downside is that all hackers know about the built-in Administrator account, and if it is active, they will attempt to hack that.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Also, if the built in one gets clobbered, there is NO back door.
    I have rebuilt to many system because the built in was renamed as a common Admin user.

Also the built in has the super powers as the common admin account does NOT. It is used when "Runs as Administrator" and should be used only when these super powers are needed.

4. jenae

jenae

Hi, yes just to confirm, the built in admin account (hidden) is designed to be used as a diagnostic account only, enabling a user to run with full admin rights. It should only be used when advised by an expert in assisting you to resolve some issues, it was never designed to be used as a normal account, MS have documented this.

If you are having a problem please post the problem details and we will assist.

5. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Thank you all very much! Very illuminating. No, I'm not having a problem this was just an intellectual query. I had been running for about a year with just my own acct. with admin priv., but in the interest of improving security, I know you are not supposed to do that, so created an admin acct and made myself a regular user. I had worked like this years ago but got sloppy after my last build (12 mo ago). Then I remembered the super admin acct and figured maybe the one I created was redundant. Apparently it is not.

I will now disable the built-in admin acct.

Thanks again for all the replies. The quality and speed of the responses on this forum always amaze me. After getting some iPhones/Pads in the house (no Apple computers) and wrestling with getting it all synced to the Windows world I finally gave up on the Apple forums. Never got one reply, ever.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You will also find that a second Admin account with strong password is NOT redundant. This is my main back door if things go wrong with my normal account.

Also this back door helps when I have it on ALL machines on a shared network, using the same name and password. I do NOT use it for normal use, it is there if I need it or the system needs it to get to and from the different shared machines.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice