1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bullet formatting in Word 2007 Vista

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bailey81, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bailey81

bailey81 Thread Starter

I am having problems with my bullets in word - I run Word 2007 on Vista. When I start a new bullet, it works fine however the second time a start a bullet in a document, it automatically shifts to double line spacing. It does this on both my home and work computer. I can manually fix it, but it's very frustrating and takes time. I just want a simple standard bullet on each line, with single line spacing. What am I doing wrong?

2. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

I'm using Word 2007 with XP, but it should be the same. I can't duplicate your problem. Have you fiddled with the settings for bullets? Do you mean that, when you start a bulleted list, the second entry is double-spaced down from the first? Or do you mean that, when you start a SECOND bulleted list in the same document, it comes up in double space? Neither one makes much sense to me, I'm afraid.:confused:

3. bailey81

bailey81 Thread Starter

The latter - when a start a second bulleted list in the same document, it formats differently to the first bulleted list. This new second list adds in a double space, so that the elements in this new bulleted list have a clear line separating them.

I've fiddled with the settings for bullets to no avail. It happens whether or not I'm using an existing document or I've just started a new document. Thanks for responding - does this make it any clearer?

4. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

I'm at a loss to explain your problem, especially since it occurs on two different computers! Perhaps someone else will have an idea for you.:(

5. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Can you please post a file that you are working on so that we make take a look at it? Actually since you are so new you will probably have to email it for one of us to post it.

6. bailey81

bailey81 Thread Starter

I can't upload the word file, but I've attached a pdf example (well, tried...if it works!). Does this help?

Attached Files:

7. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I am trying to see the formatting of the styles and the such. You can upload a 2007 file if you zip it first. Can you please do that?

8. bailey81

bailey81 Thread Starter

Ahh, so that's how it's done! I've attached the zipped file this time. Thanks so much for your help in even getting this far!

Attached Files:

9. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    The first set of bullets you typed out fine, and the second set you added an extra hard return (enter) in-between so you are seeing the extra gap or spacing due to that.

10. bailey81

bailey81 Thread Starter

The problem is that word/vista automatically adds in that hard return - I can't get it to go back to single line spacing. I could go back and delete each on individually, but it takes time and is annoying. And it makes my documents too large if I leave in the return between each bullet point. I think it may just be something I have to live with!

11. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    It is still working fine for me. How are you making/applying your bullets for the second list?

12. bailey81

bailey81 Thread Starter

I'm must clicking the bullet icon in the toolbar across the top. This is how I created both sets of bullets, but the second time appears different.

13. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Make sure your second set of bullets is not using a different style. What style is it using? Did you happen to use tab when typing out the second set of bullets? Give me step by step what you click on type out and do.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/774747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice