1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bum Deal

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KyleReeder, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KyleReeder

KyleReeder Thread Starter

my computer, is possibly the most stress-inducing thing i have ever spent 1000$+ on..

as im typing this post, every 5 seconds, it stalls, for about 10 seconds, during which mouse movement is fine, everyhting else is frozen. Its driving me nuts.

that only happens on IE.

it gets worst, every 10-20 minutes of use it turns off by itself, and can ONLY be revived if i total disconnect the power cord for 20 seconds. This happens no matter WHAT im doing, even messing in BIOS, or sitting at DOS prompt...

im not done yet, about 50% of the time when i boot it up, it loads windows xp in 4-bit color and 800x600 resolution, which cannot be reset back to the normal 32-bit 1600x1200. I have to continually restart my computer until it loads normal.

when playing games such as warcraft3 / sof2... i get the error "the memory cannot be read". People said it was my RAM, so i toips out, and purchased 2 new ones... SAME problem to this day...

does anyone have a clue as to what is going on, this is killing me :(

i have a current over-heat alarm at 53* Celcius (about 127* F)
    is this too high ?? should i set it lower or higher??

another thing, i am using a 250W power supply, on a duron 1.2 ghz, abit kr7a-133 MB, 512 mb DDRRAM, ti4200 geforce4....

is this too small ??

some1 suggested my CPU may be bad, would this fit the puzzle??

thanks in advance to anyone who replies, i cannot reply to your posts something is even wrong with this website for me... sigh..

anyway the screen is starting to go whack, im seeing doubles of all my sentences!!
    ~-(

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) Run a Free online virus scan

2) Run spybot (update it first)

3) yes, 250W may be too small for you....I suggest 300-350 for your system. 400 if you plan on any upgrades.

4) System could be overheating. If you have a temperature monitor in your bios go in and see what your cpu temp is.....Should be low to mid 40's celsius..much higher may cause system instability.

Try 1, 2, and 4.

If still causing a problem after that, post back and we can start getting a little more in depth.

3. Del

Del

First: How do you connect to the internet?
    Are you using dial up , cable or dsl??

4. KyleReeder

it stays below 40* celcius at all times,
    i run spybot / anti-virus all the time...
    im on a cable modem ([email protected])

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can go into the bios [on most modern mb] and read your voltages. It should be under something like PC Health. Observe what they are for a while and see if all voltages are stable.
    Running a GForce4 I would definitely get a bigger ps. Go with a quality unit such as Enlight, Enermax, or Antec. Stay away from no name cheap units. Cheap ps cause all types of problems.
    One other thing, there are more components than just the processor that are heat sensitive. These include the mb chipset, memory, video card, etc. You can try running with the side cover off and a small desk type fan blowing air into the case. If your problems vanish, then you have found overheating to be the cause.

6. KyleReeder

ok so, in response to your posts, crjdriver, currently (for the past 2 weeks) i have the side cover over blowing into the computer, along with 1 fan on my Vcard, 1 intake fan, 2 exhaust fans, a CPU fan, as well as an on-board MB fan. It can't be overheating:)

as for the power thing, when i observe the power in bios, for 12 volt, it says 11.97, for 5 volt, it says something like 4.95.... is that normal ?? if not, will buying a, lets say, 400 watt power supply get the job done??

one other thing, i currently have 3 CDroms attached, if i remove 2 of them, will this help ?? thx in advance

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those voltage readings are fine as long as there is no fluctuation of the voltage. It looks like you have eliminated overheating as a cause of the problem. If you are running 3 CD drives along with a GF4 I would get a bigger ps. Prior to swapping out the ps go to this link and download a memory tester. It will work from a floppy and do a memory test to see if you have any problems with your ram.
    http://simmtester.com./
    From your post however I would bet money on the ps. The having to disconnect the ps and wait a few min is a classic example of a ps problem.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Yea...with a GeForce4 and only a 250Watt PSU you are kind of stretching the limits. Have you checked what applications are running in the background and shutting them down to see if that resolves it.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

10. KyleReeder

RockN: i have zero programs running in the background, but thank you for the added opinion to buy a new PS, im going to go through with it.

crjdriver: i have ran that RAM tester before, for a period of over 2 hours in which it had zero failures, should i have ran it longer??
    I am definately going to purchase the power unit you mentioned, thats a great deal!

one more thing: can someone point me to a "guide to installing power units" or something?? or is it very easy :)

thanks everyone, I'll reply back once i get the PS installed !

:)

11. KyleReeder

one last question, if i purchase the power unit that crjdriver mentioned...

is it going to be compliant with a duron 1.2 ghz, on a kr7a-133 MB ??

thanks ~!

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Two hours is enough. Installing the ps is pretty straightforward. You will have to remove the connectors from the mb and from the device after that you just remove the four screws that hold it in and reverse the procedure to install. As to compatibility, yes it will work with either an AMD or P4 [it has the extra connectors for the P4 that some mb require].
    I have been using that ps with an Epox 8K5A2+ dual booting XP pro and win2k pro for the last six months or so and no lockups, freezing, bsod, or anything like that. It is running three hds two cd drives and an ATI 9500 pro vid card. It is so stable that I cannot make it crash.
    That ps is about 1” longer [deeper] than an oem ps so check and see that you have enough room. I will be leaving for a four day trip in the morning so if you have problems post back and someone will help you.

13. KyleReeder

ok guys, im back, its been 2 weeks, i bought the PS from NewEgg.com (3 day shipping.. nice)

anywayz, i installed it, wow, what a nice ps!

but... im still having 100% the same problems :(

yes, this comp still has random black screens, files get curruted randomly, ***LOADS WITH 4-BIT COLOR*** (which cannot be changed)...

i installed it, the comp ran "fine"... then i rebooted, and again, i have rebooted a total of 7 times, every single time it has loaded with 4-bit color now.. and it CANNOT be changed to the normal 1600x1200 res 32-bit color...

what is the deal, back to square 1 again... sigh

14. KyleReeder

ok, this is horrible...

in the past, this thing would load at 4-bit color every now and then, which is very bothersome, but it only happened 25% of the time...

i installed the new 400 watt power supply, and ever since then, 100% of the time, it loads in 4-bit color... 13/13 so far...

to add to this stress-inducing situation... the stupid cd-rom keeps opening and closing. it will not stop, no matter what i do, i cant do anything.

this computer is going crazy, please, anyone tell me what i need to do to fix this, the power supply isnt doing anything, its making it worst.

~kyle

15. rmay635703

rmay635703

Hmm, sounds like a bad motherboard RMA it if you can,

if you want a long shot read on...

Your problem matches a two via based computers I tried to setup. At first my network card wouldn't install, then I FORCED it and then they would run 10 seconds, freeze, run 10 more seconds freeze and continued doing that all day as long as the intel ethernet card was active. The only solution was to not use an ethernet card, when I contacted the via forums I found out that the problem wasn't correctable on my paticular board.

Does your PC have a VIA chipset?

Are you running an ethernet card?

If you answered yes to both questions you might be screwed. The only suggestions I can give is update your bios and get the latest four in one drivers and try again.

If you don't have a via chipset trying running the machine without a NIC and see how it goes, if it runs much better you know where the problem lies.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice