1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bum Deal

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KyleReeder, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terryxp

terryxp

100%, without a doubt... mother board is junk... As I've read through this post, one after the other, I said to myself, MB... by the last post, in my humble opinion, sir, you have a bad MB. I had an XPerience with a bad MB with an HP pavilion a while back, and the symptoms were identical to your posts... I am ALMOST certain this is your issue, but seeing as how a MB is a rather MAJOR swap, not to be taken lightly, wait for some more feedback... but I'd bet my aunt betty its the MB

T

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You probably have a bad mb. As a test why not disconnect everything except the video card, one hd [the one with the os] now boot the computer and see if it still has the problem. If so, then I think you need to rma the board or get a new one if it is out of warranty
    What brand of mb do you have?
    I am guessing that you have tried to reinstall the os as a clean install correct?

3. KyleReeder

KyleReeder Thread Starter

ok, since i have gotten so many questions / different feedbacks.. im going to post the history of my computer, to set things straight...

about 13 months ago- purchased case / abit kr7a-133 MB/ 24x cdrw/ 40x cdrom/ creative SB 16 bit sound card / geforce2 mx400 (64 mb) / 19" flatscreen monitor/ 30gb 5400 rpm HD/ 1.44" drive. set it up, installed Windows98 SE. This setup ran flawless for about 4 months..

about 9 months ago- purchased geforce4 Ti4200 (128 mb ddr) video card. Games were looking charper than ever, this computer was completely flawless!

about 7 months ago- decided to purchase an additional CD-ROM (50x). At this point i was having very minor program errors, such as warcraft 3 freezing at random times.

about 6 months ago- while playing warcraft 3, the computer would turn off at random times (once every 2 hours of play or so). I contacted many different tech supports, and the problem was never solved, so i quit playing that game.

about 2 months ago- i began having major problems, **random turn offs**, display errors in internet explorer, didn't detect mouse at random times, etc etc... this led to me coming to these forums... it turned out, i was overheating, i hadnt installed exhaust/intake fans, and my CPU fan was upside-down! I promptly fixed these problems and began running the computer with 1 side off and a fan blowing into it at all times. At this point, i blamed everything in the past on overheating, and thought i was good to go. Overheating was not a problem anymore.

about 1 month ago- i was still getting random turn-offs, although MUCH less often, but now, a new problem arose, the computer would load in 4-bit color at random times, and game files were often currupted, which led me to have to re-install. I blamed this on the OS.

about 3 weeks ago- I purchased WindowsXP home, installed it (took 5 tries, because my comp kept turning off), and was still getting random poweroffs, 4-bit color loads, and many program failures, as well as blinking black screens while on internet explorer.

about 2 weeks ago- i posted in the forums my problems, and was told it could be a power supply problem, i thought i was saved, so i ordered the awesome power supply crjdriver suggested. I also started a thread about "Random Popups". I was told to installed ZoneAlarm, disabled Messenger, Run anti virus, and Install SpyBot. I did all 4 of these things, and the pop-ups were gone 100%.

about 1 week ago- i got the power supply, installed it, and everything is still the same. 100% no change. At this point in the story, my computer will ONLY load in 4-bit color (which is un-changable, period), while in 4-bit color, there are no random black screens, all of my drives (3 cd-roms, and a hd) are labled as "PIO4".. whatever that is.. and im unable to run any programs, except IE. Although the random power-offs are gone, the 4-bit color is permanent.'

some other info people have asked for..

Yes, i have a VIA chipset on my board.
    Yes, i have an ethernet adapter.
    I use [email protected] cable internet.
    i turn my computer on only when i use it, then i turn it off.
    I have run SIMMTESTER many times, never with any failures, and bought new RAM anyway, just encase thats what it was.

Unless anyone else has anything i can try, im considering buying a new processor(people have said i may have fried it during the over-heating bouts), borrowing a friend's video card (again, some have thought it may have fried), or purchasing a new MB.

thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far, anyone else who can get me further, i will greatly appreciate it!

~kyle

4. KyleReeder

well, to anyone who has followed my posts, its a very un-solvable problem. I have some good news, and some bad news, which to any of you experts, might be a clue to the problem. Please read :)

good news: after the last post, i restarted my computer approx. 30 times, every single time it loaded in 4-bit color. After this, i decided to try and see if it was my video card and/or AGP port. I installed my old Geforce2 MX400 (PCI). Wow, i thought i was saved, it actually loaded in normal color! I was so happy, i thought for a second, the problem was for sure a faulty video card. However, after lowering the resolution settings, i decided to reboot. It was back, i loaded in 4-bit color again, and again, and again... about 10 times i tried, then i gave up. So i put my Geforce4 back in... and ofcoarse, it loaded normal. I put my res and color settings back up, and restarted. It was normal again...
    hmm, was a saved?? i sure thought so.. the past week, everything has run perfectly fine, 4-bit color loads were down to about 5% of attempted reboots, games were running fine, and the whole nine yards. Warcraft 3 still continued to freeze though, if i tried to play 3 or more games in a row. It never froze once when i restarted after every game. Anyway....

bad news: With my computer seemingly "tamed".. and able to use, i thought i would top it off last night with a Defrag. Humm... i defragged it, and now.... 100% full-time 4-bit color loads have returned. 40+ restart attempts in a row ensured it. What is going on?

conclusion: Defrag. set off 4-bit color boot-ups, 100% of the time, which CANNOT be set back to normal res.

After all the turmoil, im considering borrowing some money from friends and my parents, i need some advice.

here is what im considering...

1.) new MB (150$+)
    2.) new Processor (100$)
    3.) new HD (50$+)

I would much rather not have to purchase any of these, as im very short on money at the moment =/ but i NEED a working computer!!

Can anyone please help me, if not, can someone point me to good internet buys on AthlonXP processors or a RELIABLE MB??

thx =)

5. terryxp

terryxp

6. KyleReeder

I would if i could =/ i am pretty broke right now, lacrosse season is on and we plan on taking state (as if you care :).. so i cant get into work for the next 3-4 months.

i looked up this deal at tigerdirect.com...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=MBM-AK32A-1800#

Can anyone voice an opinion about this combo ??

The MB looks kind of junky... but i know know =/

im really searching for an awesome MB / CPU combo for like 100-150$...

ahh well, thats it for now :) cu all tommorrow!

7. terryxp

terryxp

8. KyleReeder

Ok guys, i might be able to finally solve this problem, 10 minutes ago i ordered a new MB / athlonxp 1800+ combo... If this doesnt solve the problem, then honestly, i dont know what will! Ill reply back when i get it set up!

just a few questions...

do i need to format my harddrive to replace the motherboard??
    can i use the Heatsink from my old processor??

thanks a lot to everyone who got me through this mess, im hoping that this will cleanse my computer of its burdens!!

~)

9. terryxp

terryxp

Just out of curiosity, waht did ya pick up?

10. KyleReeder

11. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Don't worry it's not what you think ... its not designed by NASA! LOL. I have heard good things about them so don't worry about them being a low-grade vendor.

IMHO, it looks like a good deal but i would shop around as these days, everyone is slashing their prices to lure more PC shoppers.

Also you will NOT need to reformat your HDD to have it work w/ the new MB, unless you want to go thru the hassle of re-installing Win XP and re-activation.

EDIT:

Here are some websites you can check out for computer parts. Good luck.

http://www.techbargains.com/index.cfm

http://www.pc-beyond.com/

http://www.tcwo.com/

http://www.slickdeals.net/

12. KyleReeder

Ok guys, mission accomplished!!!!

i put in the new mb / processor ... went to a local shop and bought a huge processor fan (Keepin it COOL this time !!) and hooked it all up. First time ran like a CHARM !!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME !!!!!!!!!!

Now i got a new problem!! (Minor !!)

whats it mean when a windows box pops up next to the clock that says "Low On Virtual Memory" ?? It only happens when i play Soldier Of Fortune 2 at very high res / detail. Any suggestions as to how to fix this would help me a lot :D!!

thanks again !!

13. KyleReeder

i put in the new mb / processor ... went to a local shop and bought a huge processor fan (Keepin it COOL this time !!) and hooked it all up. First time ran like a CHARM !!!

whats it mean when a windows box pops up next to the clock that says "Low On Virtual Memory" ?? It only happens when i play Soldier Of Fortune 2 at very high res / detail. Any suggestions as to how to fix this would help me a lot :D!!

thanks again !!

14. KyleReeder

thanks again !!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice