1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

burn camcord tape to dvd+r using power producer gold

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tinkti, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tinkti

tinkti Thread Starter

I hope someone can help. I have a sony mini cam corder. Went out and bought fire wire as usb wont pick up the audio. Firewire made no difference. I am using power producer gold software that came with medion computer. Per best buy geek squad My computer has everything I need the firewire should have worked. Sometimes after inserting dvd+r it reads disc not editable which geek squad said dvd+r should work fine. When it doesn't read disc not editable and I go to next page where you select maxim speed ect the record button doesnt allow me to click on it. My son is in Germany and I am trying to send him a dvd of his newborn up to 4 years old as he has only seen him when he was born. Please Help Thanks:confused:

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

Cant help you until I know what format you are capturing in and with what camera---Is this one of those cameras that captures video on a disk, or is this a tape based camera.

3. tinkti

tinkti Thread Starter

its a sony camera with a mini tape. Im sorry I dont know what format. I bought a firewire and computer now acknowledges my camera finally, had to plug it into the back jack for some reason the front jack isnt working, at least it didnt acknowledge camera. I am very new to this I also have other software Nero seems to be easier to understand than power producer gold. Im sorry i dont know the format. If you adviese me where to look Ill be glad to. do you mean like jpeg???

4. thecoalman

thecoalman

Once you plug the cam into the firewire port you have to turn it on to VCR mode. The computer should recognize it, open up my computer and see if it's listed.

5. tinkti

tinkti Thread Starter

the computer recognized camcorder after I pluged into port on back. Now I need to learn the software I guess. I used nero startsmart, capture video and let it run all day while at work, its now on my computer in my documents, video files and I now have two separate files??? I guess thats what they are.... I hate being stupid about this any how, two separate files with 63,980 kb and another one with 46,122 kb. I had the volume on camcorder low. I do not hear any sound, and that was the whole purpose of the firewire, correct? Can I delete both of those off the hard drive completely. Computer is running real slow. I guess I need to start from scratch. My sons child will probably be 18 before I figure this out. Thanks for any help you may have,

6. linskyjack

linskyjack

If I were you, I would get rid of Nero---and try something like Sony Veras Movie Studio +DVD---Its really rather simple to capture your videos, edit them on the timeline, then author DVD's that you can send to your son.

7. thecoalman

thecoalman

You are selecting the wrong format or something else is the matter, DV-AVI is about 13.5 gigs per hour video. Each of those files would equal roughly 10-20 seconds... Time wise it only takes as long as the footage is, if you want to capture 20 minutes of tape it takes 20 minutes.

One step at time.... Instead of using nero try this, it's samll free utility made just for transferring DV: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=WinDV

Follow steps 1,2 and 3 here: http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/33/59/

After you've done that check the file to see if you have audio and post your results including the file size and time length.

8. tinkti

tinkti Thread Starter

I did steps as you said. There are actually 2 files :
    first one is: duration 36.14 bit rate: 1024 kbps size: 7.58 GB
    2nd one is: " 59.53 " 1024 kbps " " 12.5 GB

There is audio. for some reason windows media player I was veiwing and hearing the audio from there. Thank you, this is the farthest I have come to almost actually getting it done. Can you continue to help? What's next? Thanks again:)

9. thecoalman

thecoalman

Just a little background, the files you now have are exact duplicates of what's on your cam. You can think of them as negatives. As you can see they are quite large and are unpractical for use as anything except for archiving or as source material to create other videos. From here it depends on how complicated you want to get, if you just want to get it to him and he has access to computer:

Open Windows Movie Maker start>all programs>accessories>entertainment>windows movie maker.

On the left click "import video" and select one of your videos. this will import the video, it may create multiple thumbnails in the collections panel if you have points in the video where you started and stopped the cam. After it's done importing at the very least you should now have one thumbnail with the first frame, you may have multiple thumbnails with first frames from that section of video. On the top click edit>select all. This will select every clip and they should now all be highlighted in blue. Click the highlighted clips and drag them to the the storyboard on the bottom.*

On the left select "save to my computer". Name you file, and select where you want to save it to, click next. Click the radio button next to "other settings". From the drop down box select "video for local playback (2.1 Mbps NTSC)" Click next and it will convert the video to a WMV which is suitable for burning to disc.** This is going to take while depending on how fast your machine is, at least an hour or better.

Once it's done saving the video open up you DVD burning application like Nero or Roxio and burn the file to a data disc. Mail away, again the thing to note is he will need access to a computer to play this file.

*The directions here are basic, you can do a lot more if you want like trim and edit the video. There are directions in the movie maker help file. Just as an example in the drop down menu on the top switch it to transitions. You can drag a transition between two clips in the storyboard. Instead of all the clips you can drag them individually and leave ones out you don't want....

** This selection determines the file size and quality of the video, this is about the highest selection movie maker allows but even if you convert both videos using this selection they will both easily fit on single DVD. If for example you're on broadband you can use a lower quality video and upload it to a file sharing site like www.yousendit.com . Just send him a link to the video. Personally I'm not to fond of such services but it is an option.

10. tinkti

tinkti Thread Starter

I dont see windows movie maker I have windows media player.

11. thecoalman

thecoalman

It may be somewhere else in the programs list. Look around. You can also try pasting this in the address bar of your web browser. If it's installed it should open

C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\moviemk.exe

If not you can download it here for free: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx

You should also be able to download it through windows updates.

12. tinkti

tinkti Thread Starter

I wanted to update you of my progress. In order to get movie maker I had to have cam hooked up to computer and it auto poped up. I did get one of the clips burned to dvd. I'm not sure how I did it but it plays back on my computer. Its going in the mail today. I cant thank you enough. Thank you till my next project take care (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/507729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice