1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Burn-in on LCDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hansmax, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

I have a new LCD monitor, Samsung, and am wondering if LCDs have any succeptibility to burnin. I know CRTs have been fairly immune in recent years, but don't know much about LCDs. My screen saver in WinXP MCE does not work. After troubleshooting it, it appears to be due to the installation of my wireless mouse and keyboard. MS Knowledge base offers some solutions, but none of them apply to me. I have come to the conclusion that I will probably not be able to fix this without switching back to a PS2 mouse and keyboard. (I really like the wireless) I am wondering if I can expect there to be some burnin down the road after running the computer 8 hours a day or more. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

LCDs may experience "image persistence" which is different from "burn-in" on CRTs. If your LCD displays the desktop or one image for a long period of time, icons or pictures may appear "burned in"... particularly if the icons or images contain near 100% red, green, or blue (I noticed this most with the Real VNC icon, if you have it). Fortunately, this can be corrected on LCD displays (but not on CRTs).

The solution I have tried that works is to enable a screensaver like "Marquee" with a 100% white background and not very much text... or just set a white desktop with no icons. The image persistance will disappear after running this for several hours.

3. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Thanks for the information, Frank4d.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice