1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Burn-In Software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by GreyGuy, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreyGuy

GreyGuy Thread Starter

Is anyone using or can recommend a Hardware Diag\Stress Test software? Something along the lines of "Burn In" software. Preferably one that boots from a CD or ThumbDrive and can run once for diags or repeatedly for burn in. Free is always good...

2. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

3. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Prime 95 works well for stress testing.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

I run multiple instances ( one per CPU core ). 24 hours seems the most common recommendation that I've seen.
    Periodically, watch your temps to make sure it's not overheating.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

"burning-in" a CPU is largely urban myth.

There's no conclusive proof that burning in provides any greater core stability to a CPU.

5. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Agreed.
    Myth or not, stress testing a new computer or cpu/motherboard upgrades will test stability and cooling systems for flaws, though.
    I do it on the factory built computers I've bought just to make sure the factory built them properly and they're relatively durable.

6. GreyGuy

GreyGuy Thread Starter

Thanx for the info but the CPU is only part of the equation. Granted it's a fairly important part but I'm trying to test the whole nine yards. MemTestx86 is good for RAM - There are lots of HD testers out there (though I still haven't found a clear favorite) and that pretty much leaves video. So I'm looking for an all in one that I can boot - start and forget for a while.

7. Stoner

Stoner Banned

tomshardware does a lot of testing....Have you checked out their site?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice