1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Burn marks on TFT screens ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by albert lionheart, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. albert lionheart

albert lionheart Thread Starter

I have 3 VideoSeven screens running off to identical PCiE cards, and I have just noticed that they all have the same mark which looks like the old burn marks you used to get on CRT monitors. All in the same place and all a white streak that only appears when a dialogue box with a white ground is moved across the place where the marks are present (a 1/4" wide mark about 2" down on the left hand side and stretching half way across the screen to nothing). It looks vaguely like the mark left by the last dialogue box that was there.
    any ideas anyone? Changing the refresh rate only makes it worse, the drivers are the latest.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The fact that its the same on all three screens at least means it not one of the screens. It could be a harware issue or indeed still a driver issue despite using the latest or a connection configuration artifact causing some form of ghosting or slight interference.

First thing is to disconnect and reconnect everything, checking for anything out of the ordinary and to be sure everything was connected solid. If that proved fruitless the next step I would take is to knock it back down ot just one monitor and see if that was ok, then two, etc., see if the problem is there right from the get-go or if it has something to do with multiple monitor connections with two graphic cards.

Maybe someone else will know exactly what it is, my post is the troubleshooting approach.

3. albert lionheart

Thanks fairnooks - you are on the mark with the diagnosis that it is not one of the screens. I have switched the cables round and it made no difference. It is odd that there is this echo on all 3. I am just about to build another multiscreen machine and will test these screens on it - the last one I built a couple of weeks ago was clean.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Some LCD screens are susceptible to "image persistence" which is similar in appearance to CRT screen burn, but is reversible.

Uf that is the problem you are having, using an all white screen saver for a couple of hours will reverse it. The Marquee screensaver built into Windows configured with a white background and white text will work.

5. albert lionheart

Thanks Frank - I have to go out this evening so will leave it running as you suggest. I have also set the background to white with no pretty picture either - euch!
    cheers

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!