1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

burn pin on pci card? can i still use it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kakashii, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kakashii

Kakashii Thread Starter

i have a wifi pci x1 card that i tried to place it in x16 slot and it burned the forth golden pin from the right on the card as shown in picture below... now i got a new PC which has x1 slot can i still use it or is it dangerous to even try it.

[​IMG]

2. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar

I couldn't say for sure, but I doubt it. My guess is, it'll either work or it won't, but it won't damage your motherboard or anything

3. Kakashii

Kakashii Thread Starter

i saw little smoke when i tried to plug it in to a old pc which has a 16x pci slot...may be i placed it wrong, but i asked on many forums if it was ok to place 1x card in 16x slot! thanks for the info... the pc had no power plunged and i also unplugged rest of the cables before i try to installed the card

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

1X cards can be used in 4X, 8X, or 16X slots.
    The burnt pin is a ground pin. The one just to the right is +12VDC.
    The board may be OK -- I'd guess the contacts in the 16X socket where it got burnt may have shorted together.

One thing to watch for, if the contact is not smooth, it could deform the contact in the socket, pushing it sideways and shorting it to the adjacent +12V pin -- potentially damaging the motherboard.

HTH

Jerry

5. Kakashii

Kakashii Thread Starter

should i scrape off the rusted burn area with screw driver and then clean it with alcohol and then try to place it in. i will try to contact the MFG and see if they can replace it...probably gonna have to ship it to them!

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Any method to smooth it down should work, like scraping with a knife/screwdriver or sanding with very fine emery cloth.

But:

One slip with the knife/screwdriver and you can damage other contacts or traces on the circuit board.
    Sanding will generate fine metal dust; if you don't remove all the dust, the dust particles could cause a short. Wet sanding using alcohol or water would be preferred to dry sanding.

You may end up disconnecting that contact from the circuit board (if it isn't already). While there are other ground contacts, it may adversely affect how the board operates.

And doing any of the above will certainly void any warranty you might have, though that might not be an issue -- a burned spot like that might be considered User Damage and wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

The damaged spot may be far enough from the edge that it won't affect the contacts in the socket. A close visual inspection with a magnifying glass after inserting the card in the socket might show that it's OK. Be sure the PC is unplugged of course.

You may have to remove the Motherboard from the case to get a good enough look at it though, and/or remove other cards.

The card itself may have been damaged and is non-functional as well.

If you can, I would test it in the old PC before trying it in the new one, just in case.

Jerry

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/777314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice