1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Burn/readable CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaveyJones, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveyJones

DaveyJones Thread Starter

I just started using a CD burner, problem is that when I go back to add more info it says "Read only"....another question, can I also delete and add more to these disks or is it a 1 time thing?

2. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

If you burn on CD-R, it's a one and done thing. A CD-RW can be recorded over a few thousand times. However if you want to continue to add files once it has been burned on a CD-RW then you have to use a special feature, like on Easy CD Creator, you would use DirectCD.

3. DaveyJones

Ken,
    Thanks for the reply, I am using a cd-rw but when I go back to it and try to add on or delete parts of it...it says "Read Only".
    Someone told me using this new disk system is the same as using the old floppies...Im finding that hard to believe now.
    I tried to use the Nero Start Smart that came with this new system but it still says "read only"

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

To use a CD-RW disk as a floppy, you have to format it using packet writing software. Otherwise, you can burn files to it and leave the session open, and then you can add more files later.

5. DaveyJones

Whoa!! thats something I never heard of but it sounds pretty good to me..
    This pocket writing software, is that a brand name or can I get it from someplace on here?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    INCD comes as part of Nero
    DirectCD comes as part of Roxio

what software do you have

If you keep the CD in the same drive - dont finish the CD leave it open and then you shoudl be able to ADD - but it will only work on that CD until you finish the CD - then complete it so that it can be read anywhere at which point its read only

7. DaveyJones

I have the Nero smartstart

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sounds like you might only have Nero Express, that comes bundled with a drive? If so you possibly don't have InCD.

Just be aware that, while packet writing software is often very convenient, please don't rely on it for critical backups. It is more prone to corrupting the entire disk than a regular burn.

Also to read the disk on another PC requires the software to be installed on the PC.

9. DaveyJones

Thanks kiwiguy,
    Now I really miss my old floppy drive...
    Those use to work ANYPLACE.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Most new computers don't come with floppy drives, so those aren't too useful anymore. Technology changes. If you need to frequently transfer files between computers, consider getting a USB flash drive. As long as you're using new operating systems (Windows 2000 & Windows XP), you can just plug it in and use it just like a floppy.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice