1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Burned Photo CD won't open

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by murphyboysmom5, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. murphyboysmom5

murphyboysmom5 Thread Starter

Hi! I have an HP Probook 4525s, running Windows 7, with a DVD-RW drive. I attempted to open a burned CD-R that had photos on it, but when I stuck the disc in, and attempted to open it, it said it was a blank disc. I was able to open the disc on another computer just fine. I was wondering why I wasn't able to open it on mine. Any help would be appreciated. I have been able to open other discs fine.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Was it burned on the other machine? If it was not finalized, it may not work on any other machine. Do you know how it was prepared?

Do other CD's work on that machine?

3. murphyboysmom5

murphyboysmom5 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. The CD wasn't burned on my other computer. It was burned on my sister-in-law's computer. I don't know what program she used, but she did say that it say that it was complete when she took it out. She has had this problem with other people. She has taken pictures and burned them on CDs for others and then they try to open them on their computers and the discs say they are blank. The same thing happened with my laptop. I was able to open it with my desktop, however. I was curious what the difference was. Other CDs work on my laptop and my desktop.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If she burned the CD's using a UDF file system or as a multisession CD (burned some and added more later), then that could be the problem. Such disks need to be "closed" or "finalized" to be readable on other computers. There are times when a drive can read an unclosed CD. It probbably depends on the brand and design. But most can't. You should check with her to find out if that might be what is going on.

Some drives are also very sensitive to brands, seeming to refuse to read some even though they are supposed to be all the same. Cleaning the lens sometimes helps. They have cleaners at dollar stores that are basically CD's with a little brush that you wet with fluid. If the drive is ever exposed to smoke or fumes, that is another possibility.

But you could just make a copy of the disk on your other machine and then be able to read it on both.

Sorry I don't have anything more definitive, but her method may be involved, especially if others have the same problem. She may also be using a protocol that is rare or unsupported on other drives, but that is less likely. You could ask her to use a different program like Infra Recorder..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice