1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Burner has never worked!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jillybean, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jillybean

jillybean Thread Starter

My burner, which has been part of my computer since purchase has never worked. I have done everything taken it to Gateway, but they keep telling me it is fine, bulls*#!. I have switched software but the same thing happened. I seem to be able to start burning an audio cd, but approx. 13% later it just stops and freezes the computer. Gateway refuses to accept this and continues to tell me that it is fine, I have taken it to them twice, third times a charm but they are complete schmucks. Has anyone run into this problem before, I am trying to spare myself parts and labor for a new one.

2. joe2cool

joe2cool

Hi Jillybean

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

What make of burner is it ?

What software was supplied ? with it & what else have you tried ?

Does your problem just occur when burning audio cd's ?

& have you closed down all running programs including firewall , anti-virus etc before using burner ?

Sorry for all the ?? just need some more info !! ;)

:cool:

3. pvc9

pvc9

As Joe has already asked a few qs so that it would be easy for us to know the exact problem.

Added to those qs - What OS, how much RAM is installed, wont this happen when writing cds other than audio cds?

Give as much info possible and we can help you better.

:)

4. jillybean

jillybean Thread Starter

the burner make is gateway, standard ide-cd/r/rw 4x4x24, it actually came with the computer, but the software running is Nero and the problem persists whenever burning anything, including copying from disc to disc, it just seems to stop at 13% for whatever reason, the only thing that has been recommended was to change the write speed which I did and still the same problem and that there could be a buffer problem, but I've tried to resolve it that way as well and still no go! I know its a little outdated but it has never worked except for a few good days, which were only a handful. Thank you for any input hope this helps!

5. frenat

frenat

Just to make sure, you aren't trying to do anything else while it is burning are you? That old of a burner will not have buffer underrun protection and the more you do with your computer the less successful it will be.

6. jillybean

jillybean Thread Starter

Sorry its taken so long to respond. Actually while I am burning it would be the only thing running, nothing else. Everything is closed and dormant. I have tried it all. The O/S is ME and I have 64mb/RAM, when I had installed NERO it worked for three cds and then started the same thing all over again. Hope this info helps!

7. slipe

slipe

Go to Gateway’s site and find a firmware update for the burner. Or find out what burner it is (Gateway doesn’t make burners) and update it from the manufacturer’s site.

Download and run the freeware ASPI Check program to make sure your ASPI is OK: http://www.cyrus.troy.btinternet.co.uk/downloads.htm

Many 4X burners were originally bundled with Adaptec software. And the older versions of DirectCD will cause problems with Nero installed on the same computer. Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall DirectCD.

Before you write a CD, Ctrl+Alt+Del and end task on everything but Explore, Systray and Nero. PC magazine has a free utility to do that for you: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,697,00.asp

When you copy a CD try setting the software to copy via the hard drive instead of directly to the burner from the CD-ROM.

Go to device manager and uncheck DMA for both the burner and CD-ROM. Equipment that old likely doesn’t use DMA and it can cause a problem. Also uncheck “auto insert notification” for both. This can also cause problems on older equipment.

8. jillybean

jillybean Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your help. The directcd was already removed when I installed Nero, but as for everything else, I have not tried. I will check those tips out and let you know if I am still having problems. Again thanks a bunch!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/93962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice