1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Burning audio cd at 320k

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by pupit2c, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pupit2c

pupit2c Thread Starter

For some reason i can not get mp3's to burn at there set quality (usually 320k) to cd at it's set quality. Ill burn a cd and check it with winrip or realplayer and its always plays at 144100 (or 140k). For some reason it will not burn anywhere near cd quality or the set quality.

Could anyone suggest any programs that will burn at 320k or more for mp3 to a audio cd?

Ive searched the net and i still haven't found one. :mad:

It seems that all programs only burn to cd 140k or lower, which greatly dimishes the cd to about half the mp3's true quality.

2. Moby

Moby

I think you're getting your bitrates (kilobits per second - kbps) for MP3's and you samplerates (kilohertz - khz) for audio CD's mixed up.
    It looks like your are comparing the sample rate (the frequency at which the signal is stored) of your audio CD, to the bitrate (the amount of data stored per second) of your mp3. Standard CD sample rate is 44.1KHZ - (44100) the rate at which most mp3's are encoded, so the rate you get back when you make audio cd's out of them, which looks like, almost, (are you sure you read that 144100 figure right - it should be 44100) the figure you get.
    Are you saying that your audio CD's sound crap, or are the figures you're seeing suggesting to you that that's what you should think?

3. pupit2c

pupit2c Thread Starter

Correct i did get this all mixed up. After doing some research i found out what i was truely talking about.

Basically i can't see how a mp3 at a bitrate of 320k, then burned to cd could sound so much like crap, in that one step. Currently i am experimenting with bitrates and resamples to get the mp3's to there max quality before the burn, and i found out that a wav file is truely an mp3 uncompressed begin it's best quality.

Is it true that slower burn speeds, and cdr brand, reduce diminished sound quality? Does the sound card have anything to do with this or do the programs use the cpu?

4. Moby

Moby

Slower burn speeds does not diminish quality, in fact it's widely acknowledged that slower is better for reliability. Brand can have an affect. Sound card is only involved in the playback of tracks on the computer, not the creation.
    Burning a 320k mp3 to an audio disc should sound fine. What are you playing them back on? What software do you use to burn? Can you decribe the crapiness in the sound?

HERE is some good info on MP3's. Especially in the 'Tech info' bit, bottom left of the page.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have my entire music collection ripped to 256k MP3 files, using the LAME encoder. When I build an audio CD for my car, the sound quality is excellent, at least for my tin ears. :)

6. Moby

Moby

I think you have to have the ears of a dog to notice anything different to a 256k mp3 converted to audio and an original audio recording - or a bloody good stereo. (you'd still need a dog though in my opinion) ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/333696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice