1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Burning cd/ dvd SLOW!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bladerunner6, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bladerunner6

bladerunner6 Thread Starter

I have a Hewlett Packard pc and suddenly the CD/DVD writer is only able to burn cd's an 3-4 times speed, instead of the 40 times it usually manages. I have tried closing down all unrelated programes but this doesn't make any difference. DVDs are taking over 2 hours to burn instead of the 15 mins usual time. I noticed that this has happened since using the Lightscribe feature on the drive, but I can't see how this would be the cause. Please help!

2. stantley

stantley

Go to Start > Run, type in devmgmt.msc, double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, double-click Secondary IDE Channel, Advanced settings tab, if either one says 'PIO Only' switch it to 'DMA if available'.

3. bladerunner6

I have looked at the IDE ata/atapi and on the secondary ide channel it is on DMA if available but the current transfer mode is PIO mode. How can I change this as the drive was ok.

4. bladerunner6

Problem Solved! I removed the secondary IDE channell that the drive was using from my system, and on re scanning for hardware it was re set to Ultra DMA mode and is now working again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!