Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning CD-RW with Nero

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Elvandil 
#1 ·
I've just burned my first CD-RW with Nero 6.6.0.12 Demo. I just wanted to save some backup data. I have burned CD-R's before with Nero and they turned out fine. I just followed the same procedure for the RW cd's as I did for the R cd's. As usual, I did some further 'research' afterward :( about CD-RW burning and it seems to me that burning RW cd's is more complicated than I thought. Now I'm wondering if I just wasted a disc and effort, by simply doing what I did? Is my newly burned CD-RW useless? What should I do when burning RW's in the future? Thanks.

#2 ·
It shouldn't be any more complicated at all. Can you read the newly burned CD-RW? If not, you can erase it and try again.

What complications are you referring to?

#3 ·
Should I have formatted the disc? How can I tell what's on the cd? Will I be able to restore the data from this cd? Will I be able to re-write this cd? I hesitate to restore or use the backup data on this cd unnecessarily just to see if everything was done right. As you can tell, my knowledge about these things is limited and I don't wan't to inadvertently create more problems for myself.
If I don't need to do anything more than what I did to burn the cd, I'm perfectly happy as long as I can use the data on the disc at a later time. Thanks.

#4 ·
If you can't read your data at all try the erase disk option Then try again; with Nero Express it is very easy, assuming the CD writer is supported by Nero.
Forget about formatting. That is only done if you want to use the CD-RW like a large floppy disk, and you don't use Nero for that; you use Nero InCD.
CD-RWs are best used for backups only as they are not as reliable as CD-Rs.

johnni

#5 ·
The process for burning CD-R and CD-RW with most burning applications, including Nero, is exactly the same. The only difference is you can erase the CD-RW and try again. :)

#7 ·
No formatting is necessary. As JohnWill mentioned, the processes are identical. You'll find the option to erase the CD under the "Recorder" tab in Nero.

But Nero sometimes has some problems erasing CD's that have had errors during the burning process. You may get a message that you have reached the end of the user area, or some other error. Considering the expense of RW's (it's really debatable whether it is worth using them at all since the non-rewritable ones are so cheap), you may find it worth the trouble to recover these CD's by erasing with another app. Alcohol120% seems to be able to recover these RW's if erased in full with the "Ignore TOC" option enabled.

A free app that erases these "lost" CD's is cdrecord. It is a command-line burner with all the options of the best pay burners, and there is a version that burns DVD's, too. Erase with the "blank=all" switch enabled.

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/cdrecord.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.