1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

burning cds

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by dizzy46, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dizzy46

dizzy46 Thread Starter

when i burn cds can you tell if i use a cheep cd will it skip more then if buy a good name brand cd?

2. Sponsor

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Nope-they are all about the same.
    I personally like Memorex CDs, but you won't notice a difference in audio quality.

4. jjb

jjb

I agree:)
    The quality between name brands and generic brands is so insignificant you will never notice. Why pay more for name brands and fancy packaging?
    Personally I watch the flyers and the last 2 50 paks of CD-R's I got for about .99 cents after sale price and rebate.
    At that price if you damage a disk,make a mistake or on rare occasion get a bad disk you are only out pennys.

jjb :D

5. dizzy46

dizzy46 Thread Starter

ok if its not the cd then why do my cds skip.is my cd witter or the mp3 s that down load or program that i use can. you give me some tip on how to make a better cd thanks

6. Rache

Rache Banned

It may be the buffer underwriter - if there's a just a second of 'blip' on file some writers will either skip, finish or cause error message.

What burning software r u using?

7. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Some CD burners don't like certain brands of CDs, but it doesn't really have to do with the quality of that CD, its just a weird thing that happens sometimes.

8. slipe

slipe

There is a quality difference between brands. My burner will write to anything so I use the cheapest stuff I can get for music and writing stuff to CD to pass on to others. But I use high quality media with a long lasting dye for archive.

The problem with cheap media is that the error rate is higher. Most players can compensate with error correction. But over time they will become unreadable much faster than CDs burned with low error rates. Most cheap CDs use cyanine dye which is the easiest to write to but has the shortest storage life.

Most cheap CDs are cyanine and made by either Ritek or CMC. The CMCs seem to have the most problems. Taiyo Yuden make excellent cyanine based CDs however. And Sony and Fuji CDs are either TY or made by Sony and Fuji. TY, Sony and Fuji are the most reliable cyanine based CDs.

Verbatim Data Life CDs are all made to high quality with long lasting deep blue Azo dye. They are probably the easiest to find archive quality CDs. Mitsui Gold CDs might be a little better but they are pricey and hard to find. The Phthalocyanine dye used by the Mitsui Gold and the Azo used by Verbatim are harder for some older burners to write to than cyanine.

K-Mart has a 30 spindle of Sonys for $13 this week but I don’t know what speed. If you have a K-Mart nearby you could try those. Sony CDRs are good quality cyanine, so if you still get skipping with them I would be suspicious of the recording software or settings.

You can use this little free utility to see who made your CDs: http://www.gum.de/it/cdrid/

9. dizzy46

dizzy46 Thread Starter

the program that i use is magix mp3 gold what is a good program to use?

10. slipe

slipe

11. slipe

slipe

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!