1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

burning data dvds - please help =]

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by playsBlues4u, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. playsBlues4u

playsBlues4u Thread Starter

I'm using Nero 6 to burn data dvds and so far none of them have been successful. The burn completes and Nero tells me it was sucessful, but when I attempt to read one of the burned DVDs, windows tells me to insert a disk into the drive. Attempting to explore/open one of the burned DVDs also apparently managed to crash Explorer. I've created a successful data DVD on this machine before, so I know the burner is capable of doing it. One time I chose to finalize the DVD and another time I chose not to. That change didn't affect the final dvd at all, and so far none of them have worked.

I'm using Sony DVD+R disks and I also tried my burned dvds in my other disk drive. both are DVD readers and one is the writer. Please help me figure out what to do; should I try another software? I know what I'm doing, or at least, I thought I did. It's always worked in the past.

edits/notes:
    do I need to format the blank dvd before I try to burn to it?

I'm not chosing to make a bootable disk either, so I can't understand why windows or my dvd-rom drives can't read the files on it.

Trying to burn a Nero Image Rom was downright unsuccessful. (nero admitted it was)

I tweaked settings and also reverted to defaults for each individual burn attempt. I also tried using my copy of Nero Express. I even re-installed my copy of Nero 7 Premium to see if it would work. Now I'm using Nero 7 instead of 6 but I still have my old copy of it.

1st attempt was 4+ gigs of audio files
    2nd attempt was 4+ gigs of video files
    3rd attempt was 3+ gigs of both
    4th attempt was 3+ gigs of disk images (legal backups, thank you very much)
    5th latest attempt which failed outright was a Nero Burn Rom

Now the process fails outright every time with the error:
    Could not complete end of Disk-at-Once

please advise (!!!)

2. accat13

accat13

playsBlues4u it would really help if you mentioned the type of burner.You have nero have you tried doing a quality scan with Nero CD-dvd Speed(insert your burnt disc in the drive start up the program,select DISC QUALITY click on START,not sure of the scan speed you should pick 4x for a liteon 8x for a benq only 2 I know)You do not need to format blank dvd+ media..The Sony dvd+ media is usually very good ...to figure out your results from the scan follow this
    *For parity inner measurement (PI), your scans should be <=280 in scale(top graph in light blue in my attachment)

*For parity outer measurement (PO), your scans should be <=32 in scale(bottom graph in green in my attachment)This attachment is a very good burn don't expect results like this LOL

Attached Files:

3. playsBlues4u

Thanks a whole bunch for that detailed response! I hope you or someone can give me another one. =] By the by, I'll try a disk quality check now

I've now tried three different burning softwares, Nero 6, 7, and a freeware program called CDburnerXP. Each performs exactly as expected and reports a successful burn. But still, alas, when I try to read my burned data DVDs, windows always tells me to insert a disk. (In one instance, explorer displayed the disk as being full or closed, but with no files.) It's worth mentioning that either the OS or explorer almost freezes up and displays the hourglass cursor for about thirty seconds upon refreshing/calling upon the drive to read the burned DVD's.

So, back to ye ole drawing board:
    Burning seems to work every time, and if I had another machine I could verify that easily. Perhaps it is a read-error of some kind, but all other CD-ROMs and DVDs and DVD-ROMs run just fine. It seems that only my burned data dvds are affected.

The only names I could find for the drives probably won't be helpful. I don't know how to find their manufacturer's name; they came installed when I bought this hunk-o-junk gateway.
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B - dvd burner
    JLMS XJ-HD1665 --------------- dvd player

Using the program called Nero InfoTool tells me that the burned dvd in the drive is full, but yeilds no other info. That's only significant because so far it's the only program that didn't lock up upon accessing/refreshing the drive.

I'm having a hard time getting the Nero CD-DVD Speed program to run that Disk Quality check thing; the program crashes before I can begin a test. Every program and instance of windows is unable to fully access the drive when one of my burned DVDs is in it, but otherwise my drives are fine. (I either get an 'insert disk' error or the program/instance stops responding)

If anyone knows what I should try next, pleeeease tell me.
    purdy please? thanks.

4. lister

lister

Can you read the DVD when it's in the DVD-RW drive or is it for both (what does the Nero Info tool say about the drive(s) read specs?

5. accat13

accat13

Well your dvd burner seems to be an LG and from what I have read quickly I don't believe it will scan for quality sorry.Does the nero info tool tell you what firmware is on the drive.Being an lg drive made for gateway (oem).I'm not sure of your firmware options.If you haven't updated this in awhile it may being an option I would think about.Being a gateway it may not take the regular Lg firmware.Your first bet should be to try the Gateway site for new firmware. Option 2 and I hate to tell you this would be to head on over to the cdfreaks forum LG section and make a posting there.(they specialize in these types of issues I'm not really an LG man so I find it hard to give advice on the product. http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91 .Lastly I really hate to say this but this burner seems to be getting very long in the tooth, a 4x burner is like driving around in a 74 pinto.It may be time for an upgrade.Just had a look at the other drive try scanning with it it seems to be a liteon.

6. playsBlues4u

Gateway doesn't seem to offer firmware for optical drives. The only thing I could find in their firmware download section was a zipped text file saying I don't need optical firmware. bull.

I need something, I'll tell you that much. I've been on the phone with gateway off and on all day and in the end they determined the drives themselves are working properly, and I suppose I have to agree. Every single disk I put in the drive works except my burned DVD's. (I suppose that means my drives are 100% working?) That either means 2 totaly different burn softwares were incorrect in calling each a 'successful burn,' or my drives can burn DVD+R media, but can't read it. How come neither of those ways makes much sense?

gateway had me run diagnostics with PC Doctor on my optical drives. Every dvd test passed, however when suplementing one of my burned DVDs for a storebought one, the test wouldn't work (never made it far enough to 'fail.') Nothing involving these sony disks in my drives works, except, apparently, burning. When the burning is finished 'successfully,' it's as if the disk isn't even there. neither drive will recognize the burnt dvd+r's whatsoever. something tells me closing/finalizing the disk wouldn't make it totally unrecognizable, right? Either way, I've tried a little bit of everything and 'wasted' six or eight blank DVD+R's. They might not be wasted if I can figure out why they aren't being read.

I guess my next step needs to be testing these burned dvd+r's in another machine, but if anyone has more advice, I'm really appriciating all the help!

7. lister

lister

Did you run the Nero info tool and check the drives?

8. playsBlues4u

I updated the firmware for the DVD writer and I'm unable to do the player, but nevermind that because it is currently listed as unable to read DVD+R disks. (would new firmware change that?)

edit:
    tell me what you want to know or else I'll spout random info. Please realize the drives work perfectly except when one of my burnt DVD+R's is in them. They go unread and unrecognized. Lots of whirling and noise from the drive, but upon accessing: "please insert a disk into drive E:/F:"

edit:
    even the burner, with its updated firmware, still won't recognize my burned dvd+r, although Nero's tools tell me that my burner is capable of reading DVD+R. That narrows down my trial and error, as the DVD player isn't.

DVD-ROM Drive
    (Master)
    JLMS XJ-HD166S
    firmware: DGS3 (having trouble updating)
    supposedly inable to read DVD+R format

DVD-RAM Recorder
    (Slave)
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B
    firmware: A112 (now updated)
    supposedly able to read and write DVD+R format, but suuuure isn't doing a good job at reading.

9. playsBlues4u

double posting bump, sorry.

new question, because its the only one that makes sense to me at this point. I think I may need to booktype my DVD+R's as a different booktype in order for my drive to read it. Is it even possible that I could write it but not read it? If anyone can tell me how to alter the booktype of my media to a more universal format, I think that might be what I need.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/416227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice