Burning DVD's & copying (home video) DVD's

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

truebluexf

I've tried reading the stuff on here and some of it is so involved....

I have a Sony DVD burner I bought a couple years ago in my pc that I have never sat down to figure out how to get to actually BURN DVD's. CD's work fine, but the pc doesn't recognize DVD's. I realize I need some software.

I'm burning old home movies on my new external dvd-r/vcr combo unit to dvd. I'd like to make several copies of each dvd I make for family. Is there something simple to do this? Also, I'd like to just save data, etc to dvd.

Of course, I'd also like to edit, etc, and I know there are big programs out for that...nero seems to be a fav around here.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to create the video first, you can use Movie Maker that comes with XP, or one of the many commercial video editing packages for the purpose. Then you can use something like Nero to write the compiled video to an image file. From the image file, you can burn as many copies of your newly compiled DVD as you like. Most of the time is spent in encoding the video, which is why you create the image file to avoid that processing overhead for each copy.

truebluexf

So even though it is already a video on a DVD, I need to convert it to something else to copy it?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you have a video that you want to copy byte-for-byte, just use the copy function. I was under the impression that you were compiling a DVD with a number of clips.

truebluexf

OK Cool, thanks! I may do compilations later, but for now, I'm focussing on FINALLY getting them onto DVD at all!;) What program should I use for just copying? Mind you my pc has no idea what a DVD even is at the moment LOL. I have trial Nemo at the moment, but if there is something cheaper that will do the job that is fine. I am pretty sure I have some Pinnacle movie maker software around here somewhere too, does that do it all?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online