1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

burning DVDs?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Ulani, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ulani

Ulani Thread Starter

My father in law just bought me a DVD-R/-RW burner.

I see adds in the paper all the time for dvd-r and dvd+r, what is the diffrance between the 2? can I only burn on the -r ones?

My mother in law bought me a sony digital camcorder, I have 2 children and live 600 miles from them(not far enough away), I think they are trying to tell me something here... I know they want me to make some home movies of the kids for them(even though I have not figured out how to transfer the movies from the camera, I am still working on that)

so, the first question is what is the dif about the dvd's?
    The 2nd one is, I want to make it so that when I send them the movies that they can watch them on thier dvd player, I have seen some softwear that is called DVD-x for making dvd movies, is that what I need, or is thier something else that is better?

I still need to get a DVD decoder so that I can even watch dvd's on my computer now!

Thanks

2. Sponsor

3. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

I just got my DVD burner, so don't know all the differences between -r/rw and +r/rw, but have figured out that -r's are cheaper :D

To put home movies on DVD you need: 1) connectivity to your computer - since it's digital, it is probably firewire. Does your PC have firewire ports? 2) at the very least, a burning software like Nero that will render your movie to the correct format then burn it to the DVD.

Digital video captures are, as a rule, huge. You probably want to have a nice, big hard drive with plenty of space available. Also, if you have XP, you should look at Movie Maker (comes with the OS). It is fairly simple to learn/use, and you can edit the movies to cut out what you don't want the inlaws to see ( :D ) and ensure that they will fit on a DVD.

Also with an editing program, you can make a few little movies and put them on the DVD with a menu.

Hope this helps,

MBN

PS: Upon reflection, you may want to send them a couple of really long, really boring movies - this may cure them of the desire to see more! :D :D :D

4. Pugs135

Pugs135

MBN,
    How can you figure out how much you can fit on a CD or DVD?
    Paul

5. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Pugs, sometimes it's just a matter of trial and error. You create/edit your movie and render it for VCD...and hope like hell it comes in under the 700MB or so available for CD.

Sometimes the software you use to render helps you out....I use Ulead Media Studio Pro, and when I render, it approximates the final size of the mpg I'm creating....

But as a rule, I never have problems because I limit my movie length to about 5-10 minutes and put a few on a CD with a menu.

MBN

6. storage_man

storage_man

Ulani - To answer a couple of your questions. First off DVD-R media is supported by over 99% of the DVD players made to date. It seems to be the standard. For the rest of the media types "DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM" are not supported by all players. I would recommend for making videos use DVD-R. For backup data use +or- RW. Remember R's can only written to once, while RW can be re-written hundreds of times. For good
    details on DVD stuff go to: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

This site has alot of info.

Also MustBNuts is correct in needing alot of disk space. What I try to do is during my filming or when I'm aquiring the video from
    my VideoCam, I try to make small chapters. ie: when I'm aquiring, only capture a max of 10 min at a time. The smaller files are easer to manage and when you put all of the files together onto a DVD, you jump from chapter to chapter. You can have multiple chapters within a menu (Kind of like a directory tree). Also when your viewing the DVD, you can jump to the next chapter if you don't want to see the current one. Its a great experience - have some fun.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!