1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Burning DVDs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by drumster, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drumster

drumster Thread Starter

I am having a queer problem. I recently bought a Sony DVD Writer. I have been burning my movies onto DVDs in the past couple of days. On an average, to burn 4GB of data on the DVD, it takes about 30-35 minutes (it says burning at 20X speed). I am using the OEM version of Nero7 which came along with the DVD writer.

Now the problem is sometimes it takes only 6 minutes to burn 4GB of data (which according to me is next to impossible). Note that all the files I am burning are DIVX (or XVID) encoded AVI files. The DVDs that took 6 minutes to burn do not play properly either on a standalone DVD Player (DivX compatible) or on the computers DVD drive. The video files have broken sound, skipping video, etc. and some of the files dont play at all. Whereas the DVDs that took about 30-35 minutes to burn, work perfectly fine.

Could anyone tell me what can be the possible cause? Is this some known error? Any help will be truly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you changed any codecs on your machine that may be used during encoding? Installed any new DivX or XVid apps?

3. drumster

drumster Thread Starter

Nope. Nothing of that sort. Even now, I am able to burn some DVDs correctly and only some behave the way I described above. Could it be a problem with the blank Media? Also on the Blank media, it is printed "16X". So could it be possible that I am burning at higher speeds and thats why I am facing problems?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it says 16x, then that is the max speed it should be recorded. But most drives will do that automatically. In most Nero versions, there is a setting in options to display the true burning speed.

Does it depend on what the starting format is? I'm still in the codec arena. If the codec that is used for conversion is faulty, or set incorrectly (for those that even have settings), you'll end up with the results you get. But a slower speed is always a good thing to try. I believe that there are adjustments that can be made to the DivX codec.

5. drumster

drumster Thread Starter

I still don't understand how codec is relevant here (kindly explain because I am novice when it comes to Multimedia), because all my files are DivX encoded movies and all I am doing is burning a data disc containing all these files. So I dont think any codec would come into play while burning the DVDs. Or would it?

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I don't see how the codec is relavant either if the videos play fine from the hard drive prior to burning as data files. 6 minutes isn't unreasonably fast to get a good burn on good media but it is a physical process after all is said and done and that might be pushing it. I would try locking in the burn speed at 4x or maybe 8x, something that yeilds a burn time more like 12-14 minutes and see if that solves the problem.

There have been some firmware issues with 16x media but I'm assuming your writer is already rated for 16x and/or updated to compensate. Otherwise use 8x or lower rated, good quality media.

7. drumster

drumster Thread Starter

Thanks fairnooks, I'll try to do that. In addition, I was wondering if it could be a problem with Nero7 (we all know it is unreasonably bloated). I was thinking of trying the free alternative called CDburnerXP or the open source one called InfraRecorder. Any ideas on any of these softwares? Or do you recommend that I continue using Nero7 OEM?

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Yes, by all means, give CDburnerXP a try since its free and like you said, more dedicated and not bloated, although Nero 7 Essentials (I'm guessing that's what you got OEM) is a stripped down version and not nearly as bloated as the full version, yet not different where core function (burning optical media) is concerned.

9. drumster

drumster Thread Starter

Tried using CDBurnerXP. Even that took only 8-10 minutes to burn 4GB of data. But the DVDs are running perfectly fine. I guess it was a problem with Nero7. Now I am only hoping that this is not temporary :)

10. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

For burning, the best app is ImgBurn (free). It will also tell you who actually makes your discs, which will help determine which ones (you can't always go by the brand name stamped on top) work best with your burner... one size does not fit all. You can also use it to check for any available firmware updates. It's only a 1,905 KB file.

11. drumster

drumster Thread Starter

Thanks MysticEyes, will try out that too. Any idea if there are any known conflicts if I keep Nero7 on my computer and use any of these free utilities?

12. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Although very cool, Imgburn being just a burning app (mainly) plays nice with everything.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!