1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

burning from VHS to DVD?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by texastoy4her, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. texastoy4her

texastoy4her Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am having a little trouble burning a VHS tape to a DVD disc. My wife had been looking for a movie for a long time and finally found it. Problem is of course, is that it's on VHS. Well her mother has a DVD burner she we thought she could purchase the VHS and then just simply burn it to a DVD.

Problem is, when I press the record button on the DVD recorder, I get a message saying protected material. It won't let me burn the VHS to the DVD.

I had heard a while back about the movie companies and such placing "codes" or something on tapes to prevent you from recording them to another tape.

Is there a way I can go around this or what can I do short of waiting until the movie comes out on DVD?

Thanks for any help

2. vicks

vicks

Texastoy4her
    Please note the following quote from the rules of the forum.

"Circumventing Copy Protection - While we believe it's reasonable to make backup copies of CDs and DVDs that you own, a lot of people break copy protection for the wrong reasons. The law is still vague, at best, as to if it is legal to break copy protection in order to make such a backup, even for personal use. (The DMCA, for example, seems to make it illegal.) As a result, we do not allow discussion of how to break copy protection at this time. If we can find a nice way to draw the line, we may reconsider this in the future as laws get sorted out."

Vicks

3. texastoy4her

I apologize for breaking any forum/site rules.

I myself see nothing wrong with making a copy of a VHS tape to a DVD for my own use as I already own the VHS tape. But do understand the rules and once again apologize.

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Forum/site rules are to comply with the law, not just made up.

5. texastoy4her

Who said anything about the rules being made up? I certainly didn't. I apologized for not following the rules as layed forth.

As the post about the site rules states, " The law is still vague, at best, as to if it is legal to break copy protection in order to make such a backup, even for personal use".

I will admit that I don't know anyone on here hardly, and have no evidence to back up my claim. But, I would be willing to bet at least 90% of the people here have made copies of Cd's or DVD's that they own.

And that's all I was asking about. And again apologized once it was pointed out it was against the sites/forum rules to discuss potential illegal activity such as that.

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Not a problem.

I was just pointing out that these are laws and not forum rules otherwise. Laws change, so will the rules.

I back-up everything. Software, games, movies (DVD/VHS), CDs' ... Can't speak for others.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice