1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

burning MP3's to Audio CD's?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Gomar, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gomar

Gomar Thread Starter

First Name:
    Gomar
    Was trying to make an Audio CD of MP3's,
    15 tracks totalled 180mb;However, the running
    time was 78mins, and thus no more tracks fit.
    So there is a 80min not 700mb limit on Audio CDs.

I converted from WAV to MP3 for the purpose of fitting
    50 songs on a CD. Apparently, in audio burn mode, it is
    not the file sizes but the running time that matters.
    Thus, I could've set to 8kb/s low quality, but the running
    time remains, and so I cant fit 3 studio CDs unto 1 CD.

Ifcourse, I could play my MP3&WAV CDs in the PC, or in the DVD player,
    but the CD player doesnt play WAVs. Then whats the point of
    burning MP3's on Audio CD's?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Creating an audio CD, not a Data CD with WAV or MP3 files on it, will result in a disc that should work in almost all audio CD players. There may be some very old CD players around that work perfectly with commercially pressed audio CDs but their laser pickups have problems with burned discs.

3. K7M

K7M

If your CD player will play MP3's then you have to create the disc as data and keep the audio in the MP3 format. If you choose to make an audio CD then your burning program will change the MP3 to .CDA and now it will become a much larger file (650+ mb) instead of the original 180. Whether it originates as .wav or .mp3 the burning program will change the format and the file size.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Not quite correct. The burning program converts the MP3 files into sectors of binary data that get sequentially burned to the disc. It also burns additional data that identifies the sector number and location within the sector that is the starting point of each track.

When you open an audio CD in Windows, Windows reads the starting location data and creates the CDA files that appear in the explorer window. When you "play" a CDA file, the file is only telling the player where to start playing back the content from the CD and for how long.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/0a44fdea-da88-4ef1-b999-22e5af58643e/

5. Hughv

Hughv

For laughs, I've put up to 110 MP3s on a CD that plays just fine in my 5 year old DVD player, albeit at low quality. The DVD menu feature allows access to the Folders and titles of these songs.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice