1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

burning question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by pons, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pons

pons Thread Starter

Hi, a member of my family has sent me a AVI movie, and I want to put it on a CD (video CD). I found and d/l TMPGE to convert the file to MPEG format, but the resulting file is too big for a single CD.
    What I need is a program to split the file into 2 parts, and a burner program. The one I have (nero) came bundled with my printer and is somewhat limited
    I have to add that because of economic constrains, I'd like those programs to be freeware.... I've looked all over, I googled it to death, but I can't find anything that responds to those demands. Can somebody point me to the right direction?

Thank you in advance

sebastian pons

2. gooley

gooley

3. pons

pons Thread Starter

Thank you Gooley for your answer. The link you provided is very complete, maybe too much! It'll take me some time to find precisely what am I looking for, and once found ,more time to understand. I'm fairly new at this sort of thing.
    What I need is an idiot guide. Go d/l this, use it like this...etc. I'm also in need of a simple burning aplication because I'm having problems with Nero (OEM bundled version).
    Thank you again
    sebastian pons

4. gooley

gooley

I know exactly what you're talking about as that was me several months ago. I was looking for the "quick fix" but found the only way to figure it out was to read thru the guides in vcd and dvd help. It seems overwhelming at 1st but it does get easier and the pieces start to fit together. Good Luck!

5. pons

pons Thread Starter

I was afraid of that!
    I'll give it a shot. Thank you
    sebastian pons

6. pons

pons Thread Starter

Well, I think I figured it out. here is what use:
    First to convert AVI to MPEG I use TMPEG.
    The resulting file is too big for a single CD (I wish I could fing a program that WILL burn a very large mpeg file aoutospanning across several CDs...), so I found this cutters: AVI MPEG ASF WMV SPLITTER, and HJSPLIT. This last one is freeware.
    Once split, I use NERO to burn the Cd's.

And now for another problem (not related to my family's movie) I have a AVI movie of Lara Croft, Tomb Rider. Apparently it uses some different kind of sound encoding because I can see and hear OK using WMP, however, following the above steps I end up with only video and no audio. Is there a way to find out how to fix it so I can carry across also the sound?

I have as plugins installed: AC3 filter, FFFDSHOW, and the WMP 9 codecs pack.

Can somebody help me?
    Thank you again
    sebastian pons

7. gooley

gooley

8. pons

pons Thread Starter

Again you saved me!

The link did the trick. I just used (after d\l) virtuadub to convert the sound files to WAV and that was it.

Thank you again
    sebastian pons

9. gooley

gooley

Hey, glad it worked out for you. You're welcome!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice