Burning Read-Only CD/DVD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mdass79

Thread Starter
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
16
Hi,

I'm new to CD/DVD burning.

I want to burn some pdf documents into a CD/DVD. Is there a way to make the CD/DVD read-only?

I don't want the viewers to be able to copy the files over from the CD/DVD into their hard disks.

I've already put a password into each pdf docs to restrict changes. I'm using Nero 6 to burn, and I also have Sonic 7 installed.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
 
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
13,946
mdass79 said:
Hi,

I'm new to CD/DVD burning.

I want to burn some pdf documents into a CD/DVD. Is there a way to make the CD/DVD read-only?

I don't want the viewers to be able to copy the files over from the CD/DVD into their hard disks.

I've already put a password into each pdf docs to restrict changes. I'm using Nero 6 to burn, and I also have Sonic 7 installed.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Yes you can make files read only if you copy to CD/DVD-R not RW.
 

mdass79

Thread Starter
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
16
Hi CrazyComputerMan,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a read me file, a folder called "Thesis-AI" and in that folder there are 15 pdf documents.

I burnt the above mentioned files into CD-R. I read the CD on another computer; I can still copy the files from the CD and paste it into the hard disk.

How do I prevent that ?

Step by step instruction is sincerely appreciated.
 
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
13,946
mdass79 said:
Hi CrazyComputerMan,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a read me file, a folder called "Thesis-AI" and in that folder there are 15 pdf documents.

I burnt the above mentioned files into CD-R. I read the CD on another computer; I can still copy the files from the CD and paste it into the hard disk.

How do I prevent that ?

Step by step instruction is sincerely appreciated.
I found that one...

http://www.sofotex.com/CDSHiELD-SE-download_L5418.html

Hopes it help

CCM
 

cwwozniak

Chuck
Moderator
Joined
Nov 28, 2005
Messages
68,443
I am still using a much older (4.0) full version of Adobe Acrobat. There is nothing in my version's security settings to prevent Acrobat Reader from using "Save as" to save the currently open document to the hard drive. Unless a newer version of Adobe Acrobat gives you that kind of option, securing the files on the CD itself will be meaningless.

FWiW: There is commercial software available that makes stripping all of the security settings and password of a PDF file a trivial task that takes milliseconds to complete, even if the security password is not known.
 

DoubleHelix

Banned
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
24,388
Unless you're writing top secret documents from NASA, I don't see the point. Commercial software manufacturers don't bother with such protections.

If someone can open your PDFs, they can save them as new files to their hard drive, or if they really want the data, they'll take screen shots and manipulate the files that way. You're fighting a battle you just can't win.
 
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
869
Hate to burst your bubble there, but what can be seen can be copied, it's a general rule of digital media.

If you don't want people to copy your thesis you could put it into a picture and put watermarks all over it that's about the best you can do.
 

cwwozniak

Chuck
Moderator
Joined
Nov 28, 2005
Messages
68,443
blaqDeaph said:
If you don't want people to copy your thesis you could put it into a picture and put watermarks all over it that's about the best you can do.
The watermarks are going to have to be large and complex enough to confuse any OCR programs while still allowing a person to easily read it. Such a watermarking method could be the subject of its own thesis.
 

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Messages
106,429
CrazyComputerMan said:
OMG!!! Shh...

Let her win, there are possible of solution to stop copying to her PDFs
We're all ears. However, just saying there's a solution doesn't make it so.
 
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
13,946
:( i think people could possible still copying your PDF files... but why set them as screenshot or set up a PowerPoint .... This will prevent from user editing your PDF
 

DoubleHelix

Banned
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
24,388
If a person can read the text, they can re-type it.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Top