1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

burning smell when I switch my pc on,also it wont boot,help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TykieW, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TykieW

TykieW Thread Starter

Good day,

So I am busy building up a pc,its not much but it is supposed to be a christmas present for someone.

The pc has an Asus p5g41t-m lx motherboard
    Intel Core 2 duo E7500 1066FSB 2,93Ghz processor
    2GB 1333mhz ddr3 ram
    250GB harddrive
    And I no its old but a Inno 3d Geforce 9500gt 1GB gpu
    O yes and a 500w coolermaster psu

The problem is the first time I tried to switch it on,it came on(all lights and fans but never booted).
    Then after a few minutes I switched it on again,once again it did.not want too boot and after a while I smelled a burning smell coming from the pc.

I really need help as I have 2 days to get this pc working...

Also the heatsink1 between cpu and pci express heats up alot within 1minute of being turned on.

Anyone knows what could be wrong??
    Please help??

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Did you apply thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink fan? Can you isolate where the burn smell is coming from by sniffing inside the case?

I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

3. replay

replay

Did u build it ?
    Have u plugged in the 2 power plugs on the motherboard....24 pin and the 4/8 pin near the CPU?
    Was the power supply working before the build.... new or used
    Memory good??
    Pull the video card,try a different power supply and use the onboard video, reseat memory

4. TykieW

TykieW Thread Starter

@bassfisher6522 yes I did apply thermal paste between cpu and cpu fan. NO I have tried and I cant isolate where the smell is coming from. The heatsink1 im refering to is the heatsink covering the onboard graphics chip.

5. TykieW

TykieW Thread Starter

@replay yes i built the pc.
    The power supply is from my previous pc and was working 100%. The ram is brand new,purchased yesterday and all plugs 24 pin and 4 pin plugged in.I will try switching out the psu and removing the gpu and try it again.thank you so much...will let you know

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Gotcha.....Yes...those do tend to get real hot as I have an old Asus mobo that does the same thing.

Since you've installed an independent GPU, you can turn off the onboard GPU in the BIOS. That should eliminate a lot of heat from that area of the mobo.

Suggestion: I'd completely disassemble the build, once disassembled, inspect each component visually for any abnormalities and then sniff for a burn smell.

If I had to guess, I'd start with your PSU as it's first inline to receive power and therefore be the first to burn up.

chitownbob likes this.
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!