Burning video with Win7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pcguy9441

I'm trying to help my 14 yr old grandson with the following video problem on Windows 7. He's trying to convert VHS tapes to DVD with the Diamond Wonder HD650 device. He's now got a bunch of mpg files which, per their spec, are mpeg2 and he's got two problems:

1) He can not play his videos on Windows Media Player while I can. he's got Win7 Pro and I have Enterprise free trial. We have virtually identical machines (same GByte mobo, same E6700 processor, same RAM, just different optical drives and hard drives. I know that WMP is not supposed to play mpg4, but should play mpeg2, right? I have not knowingly installed any special codecs, but I DO HOWEVER, have Nero 7 which may be sharing codecs with WMP. My grandson does NOT have Nero. Does he need Nero or an optional mpeg2 codec? We both have WMP11.

2) How do you burn DVD video under Win7 without 3rd party s/w? The discs he's burned under Windows simply contain the mpg file which will not play on a DVD drive. However, I was able to somehow burn an mpg to DVD video (vob files) some weeks ago, but forget how I did it and now my Win7 partition is trashed, so can't experiment further. I get mixed messages from Win7. The help file says you need 3rd party s/w to burn DVD video, but Windows DVD Maker implies you can do it, and again, I did it once and the disc played on my TV DVD drive. I was not able to burn existing vob files to DVD, however. It seemed to work, but the disc was blank.

All suggestions welcomed...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online